Serious Medicine is what we do. Being extraordinary is who we are. Every colleague plays a key role in upholding this promise to our patients and their families.
Please note that this position may require an assessment after completion of the application. Please plan for an additional 20 - 30 minutes to complete this.
First Shift (United States of America)
Medical Lab Scientist - Hematopathology
Nebraska Medicine is now taking applications for a talented individual to join us as a Medical Lab Scientist on the main campus. This role will be great for someone that has a passion for the lab and caring for the patients we serve.
This role will interact with all service lines, in particular hematology/oncology.
- $10,000 Sign-On Bonus!!!
- Refer A Friend and receive a $2,000 referral bonus!!!
*Certified Cytology Techs are also eligible for the position, with on the job training provided*
The hematopathology department performs the following activities:
- Assists with bone marrow procedures.
- Performs bone marrow differential cell counts.
- Prepares special stains on bone marrow aspirates.
- Helps with administrative duties including writing and maintaining procedures, completing proficiency testing, and maintaining supply inventory as needed.
- Prepares reagent stock and working solutions.
One will be successful in this role if they are detail-oriented, have great interpersonal skills, thrive working under pressure as well as share these attributes: Initiative, teamwork, flexibility.
- Full Time and Benefits Eligible / 1.0 FTE
- First shift hourly; however will occasionally work other shifts to help cover procedures and special testing etc.
- Will work weekend shifts approximately every 4th weekend
- On-Call responsibility approximately every 4-6 weeks
- Bachelor's degree and completion of a certified clinical program in medical laboratory science OR Cytotechnology certification required.
- Effective communication skills, initiative, teamwork, and flexibility required.
- As stipulated by law in CLIA'88 (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 1988), to meet the qualifications of a cytologist one must have graduated from a school of cytotechnology accredited by CAHEA whose role is now being fulfilled by CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs).
- Certified medical laboratory scientist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists MLS(ASCP), American Medical Technologist (AMT) or equivalent within 12 months eligibility/graduation required. Equivalent certifications include Medical Technologist (MT (ASCP)) OR Clinical Laboratory Scientist certified by the National Credentialing Agency (CLS (NCA)) prior to 2004; have previously qualified as a technologist under 42 CFR.1433 SS493.1491amended 01/19/93 [58 FR 5236] on or before 2/28/92; or International certification and qualification: International Medical Laboratory Scientist, MLS(ASCPi) 1 with approval from the ASCPi required.
- Individuals who were certified beginning January 1, 2004 maintaining their certification by participation in the ASCP ---Board of Certification (BOC) Certification Maintenance Program (ASCP)CM required.
- Progressive, successful experience in clinical laboratory medicine preferred.
Nebraska Medicine is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and protected veterans' status.