Serious Medicine is what we do. Being extraordinary is who we are. Every colleague plays a key role in upholding this promise to our patients and their families.
Please note that this position may require an assessment after completion of the application. Please plan for an additional 20 - 30 minutes to complete this.
Shift:Third Shift (United States of America)
RN - Oncology Special Care Unit (Nights)
ASK YOUR RECRUITER ABOUT:
Why Nebraska Medicine:
Our shared values reflect who we are and why we're here and include, Innovation, Teamwork, Excellence, Accountability, Courage and Healing.
The Mission of the Special Care Unit is to provide expert acute/critical and compassionate care to Oncology/Hematology patients and families while supporting education and research. The approach is interdisciplinary and family-centered. A pharmacist is available on the unit 16 hours per day and dietitians and social workers are very involved in patient care.
The relatively long length of stay on the unit and readmissions for post-transplant care enable nurses to establish rewarding relationships with patients and families.
The unit serves adult oncology patients receiving chemotherapy or high dose chemotherapy, with or without bone marrow/stem cell transplant, and undergoing complex medication and blood product administration.
A physician's assistant is on the unit 24 hours for needed medical orders and oversight of the treatment plan. A general oncology service resident is available 8-12 hours a day in-house and by phone 24 hours a day. BMT and general oncology patients who need critical care are transferred to the ICU.
Nights (7 pm -7 am)
Provide, prescribe, delegate, and coordinate nursing care with other health care providers to meet holistic care needs of a designated group of patients. Environment of care may be long term, emergent, critical, acute, interventional, or procedural driven.
* Bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) required unless candidate meets all of the factors to qualify for Exception A or Exception B*.
* Effective communication skills required.
* Ability to demonstrate initiative, teamwork and flexibility required.
* Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Nebraska or current compact state license required.
* Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
* Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification department dependent required.
* For Emergency Department, Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification within 6 months of hire or transfer date required.
* Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification within 6 months of hire or transfer date department dependent required.
* Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC) OR Advanced Trauma Care for Nurses (ATCN) within one year or hire or transfer date department dependent required.
EXCEPTION A: Candidate must meet all of the following: (1) has current experience directly applicable to position; (2) is deemed the best candidate for the position; and (3) written approval to hire a candidate without a BSN is received from the hiring Director, Nursing Practice Professional Development & Informatics Executive Director and Chief Nursing Officer. If a candidate is hired without a BSN after meeting these criteria, the candidate must either have 3 years of experience directly applicable to the position Master's of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree preferred. 1 or sign a written agreement consenting to obtain a BSN within four years from his/her hire date.
EXCEPTION B: Candidate must meet all of the following: (1) is currently employed by Nebraska Medicine, or is eligible for rehire into a benefit eligible employment status at Nebraska Medicine within 364 days of the previous termination date; (2) hired by Nebraska Medicine before November 21, 2014, or hired by an entity acquired by Nebraska Medicine if the employee was hired before the acquisition; (3) has experience directly applicable to position; and (4) currently hold a Registered Nursing License.
* Direct patient care experience preferred.
* Based on position, prior experience in one or more of the following areas including cardiology, cardiac drip management, critical care, emergency department, medical-surgical, obstetrics, cardiovascular rehabilitation, telemetry, oncology, neonatal intensive care, pediatric acute care, solid organ transplant, cath lab, EP lab, quality assurance related to health care, perioperative and special procedures in applicable nursing specialty area preferred.
* Master's of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree preferred.
* Based on position, one or more of the following courses including STABLE, smoking cessation counseling, basic critical care, or other specialty training courses preferred.
* Experience with Microsoft Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel preferred.
* Proficient with use of email applications preferred.
* Proficient with use of departmental equipment and systems such as patient care equipment, telecommunication systems, information systems, pneumatic tube system, general patient care supplies, and transport equipment preferred.
Nebraska Medicine is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and protected veterans' status.
|Date Posted||September 25, 2022|
|Date Closes||October 10, 2022|
|Address||Buffett Cancer Center|
|Located In||Omaha, NE|