Serious Medicine is what we do. Being extraordinary is who we are. Every colleague plays a key role in upholding this promise to our patients and their families.
Please note that this position may require an assessment after completion of the application. Please plan for an additional 20 - 30 minutes to complete this.
Shift:Third Shift (United States of America)
RN - Neuroscience ICU
Why Nebraska Medicine:
Our shared values reflect who we are and why we're here and include, Innovation, Teamwork, Excellence, Accountability, Courage and Healing.
- Competitive Benefits including retirement match contribution, PTO accrual, tuition reimbursement
- Lead the world in transforming lives to create a healthy future for all individuals and communities through premier educational programs, innovative research and extraordinary patient care
- Forbes Magazine recognizes us in their list of American's top employers and the best employer in Nebraska
The Neurosciences Intensive Care Unit (NSICU) provides quality, specialized, compassionate care to patients who have suffered ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke, subarachnoid hemorrhages, brain tumor removal, meningitis, and other neurological illnesses requiring intensive care.
Nebraska Medicine is the ONLY Joint Commission certified Comprehensive Stroke Center in the area. Because of certain disease processes; some of our patients have a prolonged length of stay (14-21 days in the ICU) which allows us to establish and maintain relationships that do not happen in other in-patient areas.
While the primary admission diagnosis for this unit is neurological in nature, we also will care for patients with other medical surgical diagnoses when there is no room in their home unit. Some of the diagnoses include; sepsis, respiratory failure, and general surgical diagnoses. Our patients often require intevisive neurological assessments, IV medications to raise or lower the blood pressure, and other intensive care treatments.
Nursing and Care Tech staff in this unit are known for their positive relationships with all other departments, patients, and families.
There is definitely a "team" approach to caring for patients and families often compliment the staff for this. The teaching aspect is on-going with experienced RN's, neurological intensivists, neurologists, and neurosurgeons often pulling a lesser experienced nurse in to a topic for learning purposes.
Provide, prescribe, delegate, and coordinate nursing care with other health care providers to meet holistic care needs of a designated group of patients. Environment of care may be long term, emergent, critical, acute, interventional, or procedural driven.
Full Time, Nights (7 pm - 7 am)
* Bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) required unless candidate meets all of the factors to qualify for Exception A or Exception B*.
* Effective communication skills required.
* Ability to demonstrate initiative, teamwork and flexibility required.
* Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Nebraska or current compact state license required.
* Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
* Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) department dependent required.
- EXCEPTION A: Candidate must meet all of the following: (1) has current experience directly applicable to position; (2) is deemed the best candidate for the position; and (3) written approval to hire a candidate without a BSN is received from the hiring Director, Nursing Practice Professional Development & Informatics Executive Director and Chief Nursing Officer. If a candidate is hired without a BSN after meeting these criteria, the candidate must either have 30 years of experience directly applicable to the position Master's of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree preferred. 1 or sign a written agreement consenting to obtain a BSN within four years from his/her hire date.
- EXCEPTION B: Candidate must meet all of the following: (1) is currently employed by Nebraska Medicine, or is eligible for rehire into a benefit eligible employment status at Nebraska Medicine within 364 days of the previous termination date; (2) hired by Nebraska Medicine before November 21, 2014, or hired by an entity acquired by Nebraska Medicine if the employee was hired before the acquisition; (3) has experience directly applicable to position; and (4) currently hold a Registered Nursing License.
* Direct patient care experience preferred.
* Based on position, prior experience in one or more of the following areas including cardiology, cardiac drip management, critical care, emergency department, medical-surgical, obstetrics, cardiovascular rehabilitation, telemetry, oncology, neonatal intensive care, pediatric acute care, solid organ transplant, cath lab, EP lab, quality assurance related to health care, perioperative and special procedures in applicable nursing specialty area preferred.
* Master's of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree preferred.
* Based on position, one or more of the following courses including STABLE, smoking cessation counseling, basic critical care, or other specialty training courses preferred.
* Experience with Microsoft Office applications including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel preferred.
* Proficient with use of email applications preferred.
* Proficient with use of departmental equipment and systems such as patient care equipment, telecommunication systems, information systems, pneumatic tube system, general patient care supplies, and transport equipment preferred.
Working at Nebraska Medicine means you're committing to meaningful, impactful work that will elevate the success of your fellow colleagues and will help our patients and their families feel comfortable, confident and cared for.