Serious Medicine is what we do. Being extraordinary is who we are. Every colleague plays a key role in upholding this promise to our patients and their families.
Please note that this position may require an assessment after completion of the application. Please plan for an additional 20 - 30 minutes to complete this.
Shift:First Shift (United States of America)
Medical Lab Scientist - Molecular Diagnostics Lab
Medical Lab Scientist
Nebraska Medicine is now taking applications for a talented individual to join us as a Medical Lab Scientist working within the Molecular Diagnostics Lab. This role will be great for someone that has a passion for the Molecular Diagnostics lab and great customer service for our internal customers and patients we serve.
Conduct high complexity laboratory testing that directly supports the solid organ and bone marrow transplants at Nebraska Medicine/UNMC. This position provides a unique opportunity to directly impact and contribute to patient care, in real-time. Types of testing includes next-generation DNA sequencing, DNA-fingerprinting and engraftment analysis, as well as flow-cytometry based antigen/antibody assays.
(also known as: MLS, Medical Lab Scientist)
- Full Time and Benefits Eligible / 1.0 FTE
- Monday - Friday 8:00 - 4:30 PM with rotating call hours for evenings and weekends
Why Nebraska Medicine:
Our shared values reflect who we are and why we're here and include, Innovation, Teamwork, Excellence, Accountability, Courage and Healing.
- Competitive Benefits including retirement match contribution, PTO accrual, tuition reimbursement
- Lead the world in transforming lives to create a healthy future for all individuals and communities through premier educational programs, innovative research and extraordinary patient care
- Forbes Magazine recognizes us in their list of American's top employers and the best employer in Nebraska
Perform diagnostic testing to assist physicians and other healthcare professionals in the screening, diagnosis and treatment of patients. Use comprehensive knowledge to accurately perform and evaluate highly complex laboratory testing in an efficient manner. Demonstrate behavioral skills that contribute to a productive work environment and provide excellent customer service.
- Bachelor's degree and completion of a certified clinical program in medical laboratory science OR associate's degree and MT(HEW) certification required.
- Effective communication skills, initiative, teamwork, and flexibility required.
- Certified medical laboratory scientist by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists MLS(ASCP), American Medical Technologist (AMT) or equivalent within 12 months eligibility/graduation required. Equivalent certifications include Medical Technologist (MT (ASCP)) OR Clinical Laboratory Scientist certified by the National Credentialing Agency (CLS (NCA)) prior to 2004; have previously qualified as a technologist under 42 CFR.1433 SS493.1491amended 01/19/93 [58 FR 5236] on or before 2/28/92; or International certification and qualification: International Medical Laboratory Scientist, MLS(ASCPi) 1 with approval from the ASCPi required.
- Individuals who were certified beginning January 1, 2004 maintaining their certification by participation in the ASCP ---Board of Certification (BOC) Certification Maintenance Program (ASCP)CM required.
- Progressive, successful experience in clinical laboratory medicine preferred.
Working at Nebraska Medicine means you're committing to meaningful, impactful work that will elevate the success of your fellow colleagues and will help our patients and their families feel comfortable, confident and cared for.