Vice President, Corporate Tax
Mutual of Omaha Companies Omaha, NE
The Vice President, Corporate Tax, as the Chief Income Tax Officer, provides tax leadership and direction for the Enterprise and is responsible for all federal, state and local financial statement tax reporting and compliance matters including business incentives, property taxes and sales/use taxes. Coordinates all tax planning strategies to ensure tax expenses have been reduced to the legal minimum.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manages and oversees the co-sourcing agreement with the Companies' external tax accounting firm for the preparation and research of statutory and GAAP income tax provisions, tax returns, compliance matters and special projects involving tax matters.
- Plans, directs and controls short and long-range tax planning strategies for Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company, Mutual of Omaha Bank, and all affiliates (hereinafter the "Companies"). Consults with senior management regarding life, annuity, disability, retirement plans, banking, and other product tax issues.
- Manages all tax audits and examinations with regulatory bodies. Represents the Companies at the highest levels of appeal in discussions regarding tax deficiencies.
- Participates at the highest management level in the tax review of corporate acquisitions/ dispositions, and reinsurance arrangements.
- Oversees the application to and participation in state and local tax incentive programs, including the Companies' participation in the Nebraska LB 312 sales and use tax refund program. Negotiates contracts, establishes compliance programs, and maintains procedures to take maximum advantage of such programs.
- Engages with developers, brokers, and legal counsel to identify and contract for the procurement of premium tax credits at discounts to minimize premium tax expenses.
- Works to protect the income tax advantages of life insurance and other insurance products. Assists in the development of lobbying strategies to promote legislation that minimizes taxes incurred by the Companies.
- Maintains effective working relationships with the Internal Revenue Service, outside attorneys, public accountants, and government officials.
- Extensive background, technical understanding and administration of corporate and insurance tax laws
- Aptitude for working with complex subject matter and tax laws. Ability to analyze, interpret, and utilize data to make tough choices without delay or equivocation to improve outcomes
- Excellent planning and leadership skills
- Effective communication skills to internal and external constituencies
- Seasoned knowledge and background in accounting principles and practices
- Strong relationship-building skills. Ability to build and maintain relationships or networks to achieve goals
- Strong achievement orientation
- Ability to develop or foster development of others
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
| Date Posted
January 3, 2019
| Date Closes
March 4, 2019
| Located In
| Job Type
| SOC Category