Associate General Counsel I
Mutual of Omaha Companies Omaha, NE
Provides specialized legal advice and services for assigned business unit and/or function. Protects the interests of the Company and its assets and properties through effective management of risk and compliance with applicable policies, procedures, guidelines and law.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides specialized legal counsel to all levels of management within assigned business unit and/or function in support of their tactical and strategic business initiatives to include: sale, distribution and administration of all insurance products.
- Develops, negotiates and reviews contracts. Reviews, interprets and provides legal advice regarding various insurance and service agreements.
- Identifies, prioritizes, and provides legal support for all business activities in support of business objectives of assigned business unit and/or function. Develops and maintains effective business relationships with management, outside counsel, government agencies, policy-holders or their representatives in order to facilitate the handling of legal issues.
- Contributes to the achievement of business objectives by developing close professional relationships with personnel of all levels, by providing specialized legal counsel, knowledge, skills and decision making in support of tactical and strategic business initiatives.
- Leads outside legal counsel to include reviewing and approving case and project budgets, counsel fees and expenses. Determines cost effectiveness of outside legal counsel.
- Maintains expertise in and analyzes state and federal insurance laws and regulations.
- Reviews proposed business plans, policies and practices, and provides recommendations to ensure legal and ethical compliance in achieving business objectives.
- Represents the Law Operation on various Company committees.
This job posting is reflective of the Associate General Counsel I essential functions, qualifications, and physical requirements. The other levels have variable essential functions, qualifications and physical requirements. Competency and skill set will determine level of placement within the posted job family.
- Law Degree with a license to practice in the state of Nebraska.
- Possess demonstrated, specialized knowledge in one or more areas of law necessary to support business or operations.
- Considerable experience with legal matters from an administrative, contractual, statutory and regulatory standpoint.
- General knowledge of the insurance industry and related legal issues.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Excellent human relations, negotiation and written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Familiarity with computer applications.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience
- FINRA and SEC compliance industry experience
- Knowledge of law and experience with securities and investment product and regulatory compliance
- Background in drafting and negotiating technology contracts
- In depth knowledge of state insurance laws and federal laws relating to product development, policy filing, marketing, taxation and the distribution of various insurance products.
- Thorough knowledge of the internal practices and processes on multiple line insurance companies distributing products through multiple distribution systems
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at 1-800-780-0304. We are available Monday through Friday 7 am to 4:30 pm CST.
For all other inquiries, contact our HR Helpline at 1-800-365-1405.
Mutual of Omaha and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
To All Recruitment Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
| Date Posted
December 6, 2018
| Date Closes
December 20, 2018
| Located In
| Job Type
| SOC Category