- Purpose of Job
- Performs and assists technology duties in Radiology.
- Job Requirements
- Diploma/Associate degree from approved American Registry of Radiologic Technologist (AART) School of Radiology Technology required.
- Bachelor degree from approved American Registry of Radiologic
Technologist (AART) School of Radiology Technology preferred.
- Previous Radiographer experience preferred, but not required.
- Registered Technologist in radiography; credential offered through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).
- Required Medical Radiographer-Iowa (RAD.IA).
- Required Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills to interact with customers, patients, family, physicians, co-workers and hospital personnel.
- Ability to perform numerous tasks at once, prioritize workload and organize workflow.
- Must be able to follow established Universal Standard and Radiation Safety precautions.
- Position requires flexibility to accommodate fluctuation in daily schedule, including but not limited to overtime, irregular hours and on-call responsibilities
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Frequent (67-100%):
- Biological agents (primary air born & blood borne viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-Ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Note: Safety Officer can assist with identification of job hazards
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Age Specific Criteria - (Quality and Safety)
- Provides appropriate patient care.
- Shows confidence and competency in all age specific categories. (see NMHS form)
- Ensures patient comfort and patient/family understanding of ordered exam.
Exam Performance/Quality – (Quality and Safety)
- Identifies each patient via 2 methods prior to procedure. i.e. name, Date of Birth (DOB), Medical Record Number (MRN)
- Correctly identifies anatomical position with use of initialized lead markers.
- Critiques each image for identification, technical and positional accuracy making appropriate corrections as necessary.
- Performs exams as their priority dictates.
- Performs exams/procedures in a timely manner.
Workflow Management – (Heightened Focus on Efficiency)
- Demonstrates ability to manage department workflow as needed.
- Reviews/verifies orders for clinical and demographic consistency and accuracy.
- Willfully assists physicians, patients, and coworkers as needed during exams.
- Willingly seeks opportunity to provide patient care, or assist others as needed.
- Understands and supports the direction and workflow of the imaging team.
- Maintains awareness of ongoing exams and assist co-workers as needed.
- Provide exam information and status updates to pertinent staff members.
- Relieves co-workers from procedures/exams as necessary.
- Available at the start of scheduled shift and appropriately manages completion of shift.
RIS/Cerner – (Quality & Safety)
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of Cerner and NaviCare Systems.
- Properly uses Exam Management for order modification, comment documentation and image verification.
- Starts and completes own exams correctly and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of PowerChart and Cerner Scheduling applications.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of Online Worklist to monitor orders manage status. Troubleshoots Radiology Information System (RIS)/Picture Archival Communication System (PACS) issues and utilizes appropriate available resources, (Supervisor, Help Desk)
Department Policy/Procedures - (Quality & Safety)
- Ensures visualization and proper patient demographics on Picture Archival Communication System (PACS) images.
- Routinely exhibits the behavior and attributes for superior customer/patient service as outlined in the “Behaviors Standards Agreement.”
- Demonstrates knowledge of Administrative, Divisional and Department Policies and Procedures through responsible behavior/actions.
- Cleans and maintains all equipment as per hospital standards and by reporting faulty equipment to appropriate personnel.
- Reports issues/concerns to Supervisor as soon as possible and provide assistance with resolution/follow-up.
Clinical Enrichment – (People)
- Provides and monitors “on the job training” per Methodist College Standards.
- Maintains professional and courteous relationship with students and instructors.
- Provides leadership and guidance for students' education clinical experience.
Confidentiality – (Quality & Safety)
- Maintains patient confidentiality coinciding with Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Maintains student/co-worker confidentiality coinciding with Federal Educational Federal Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Infection Control- identifies types of transmission, standard precautions and acceptable hand washing techniques.
- Workplace Safety- identifies security risks, back safety measures, ergonomic guidelines and resulting actions.
- Utility Failures- identifies various types, responses and support resources.
- Equipment Support- demonstrates knowledge of resources and equipment ID tag information/relevance.
- P.I. Projects- identifies facility, divisional and department projects, goals and contributing factors.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System