- Purpose of Job
- Prepares the medical record for completion and maintains the integrity of the medical records by collecting, preparing, scanning, processing, copying and auditing of the electronic medical record (EMR) in a timely and accurate manner. Provides excellence in customer service when responding to medical record inquiries in a manner consistent with medical, administrative, ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements.
- Job Requirements
- High school diploma, General Educational Development (GED) or equivalent required.
- Completion of medical terminology coursework within 6 months of start date required.
- Minimum of 6 months medical office or healthcare related setting preferred.
- Customer service experience preferred.
- Requires the ability to provide transportation to other campus locations within a reasonable timeframe.
- Excellent communication skills and customer service.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to open and navigate Microsoft Outlook, Work, and Excel.
- Ability to learn and work with multiple software/hardware products during the course of an average workday.
- Ability to use printer, copier, scanner, and fax machine.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend various documents and reports.
- Ability to organize work priorities and meet specific objectives under time constraints.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Good problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to be a team player in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and independently.
- Must be able to travel locally to multiple sites throughout the organization.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force.
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Embraces/exceeds organizational expectations for customer service.
- Courteously greets and gives directions to patients, family members, visitors, physicians, staff, and other customers.
- Role models customer service excellence to meet/exceed customer service expectations.
- Follows organizational standards of behavior.
- Demonstrates good communication style and interpersonal communication skills with other departments, coworkers, and customers.
Facilitates patient/customer requests for releasing personal health information.
- Maintains HIPAA compliance standards for protected health information.
- Answers multi line phone, and responds to customer service requests via phone, fax, or walk-in.
- Processes requests for assistance with the electronic medical record in a manner consistent with policy, medical, administrative, ethical, legal, and regulatory requirements during regular hours and downtime events.
- Utilizes the electronic medical record system faxing to help efforts of eliminating paper.
- Supports Administrative Coordinators with patient, and facility requests.
- Checks fax machine for documents and voicemail hourly after hours to ensure all requests are handled in a timely manner.
Serves as the expert for scanning to support the integrity of the electronic medical records (EMR) during regular and downtime events.
- Organizes and prepares paper documents via rounding on floors/department or interoffice mail for scanning into the EMR, as appropriate and by priority that benefits the department and patient’s course of care.
- All Paper documents/patient care records are scanned into the EMR within 24 hours of discharge, with the exception of Rehab records, while maintaining 98% accuracy.
- Serves as resource person to assist with physician, patients, outside agencies, and Administrative Coordinators on record retrieval and appropriate assignment of document types in the EMR.
- Audits the scanned documents in the Electronic Medical Records (EMR) to ensure integrity of the EMR is maintained.
- Retrieves and stores paper records from and to Shared Services.
- Supports scanning of the Pre Surgery, Diagnostic Scheduling, and Financial Clearance via uploading electronic documents into the EMR with productivity at least 8 charts an hour.
- Consistently scans at least 500 pages per 8 hour shift.
Promotes office efficiency and maintains teamwork spirit.
- Actively assists with the implementation of new procedures, schedules and training/cross training of coworkers by sharing critical information pertaining to newly discovered information or system updates
- Actively works using Microsoft systems with minimal support.
- Supports assignment changes/requests to achieve department goals and coworker time off requests.
- Monitors emails and notification and responds to all requests in a timely manner.
- Maintains routine hardware checks and proper cleaning procedures.
- Distributes all mail to appropriate staff/personnel.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
- Actively identifies and participates/leads in performance improvement opportunities or committees, as appropriate.
Methodist Health System