- Purpose of Job
- Helps patients by supporting personal hygiene and daily living needs; providing comfort, transportation, and vital sign monitoring.
- Job Requirements
- High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) preferred.
- Previous work experience preferred.
- Skill using computers.
- Skill organizing and prioritizing work.
- Skill with verbal and written communication.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to adhere to all workplace and safety requirements, regulations, standards, and practices.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related: - Electrical Shock/Static
- Rare (1-33%):
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Hazardous Drugs (exposure risks, personal protective equipment required)
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment, as outlined in the Age Specific Criteria.
- Gives individualized customer service/patient care.
- Completes age specific competency assessment.
- Participates in Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP)
Exhibits excellent interpersonal relations with patients, co-workers, physicians, and guests to ensure effective communications.
- Responds to patient needs promptly and courteously.
- Obtains feedback from patients and visitors regarding their hospital experience.
- Communicates patient issues to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains a positive attitude while responding to requests in a timely and accurate manner.
- Communicates with other members of the health care team (food service, secretaries, housekeeping, etc.) as indicated.
- Actively participates in report process.
Completes clinical activities identified in the patient's plan of care to meet patients' comfort/activity/sleep needs and other clinical patient needs as delegated by professional staff.
- Reports patient comfort needs to nurse in a timely manner.
- Ensures that skin is clean and dry.
- Reports any noticed skin changes.
- With oversight and/or direction provides personal care and assists with ADL (activities of daily living).
- With oversight and/or direction provides assistance with repositioning, turning and chair transfers.
- With oversight and/or direction assists as necessary with ambulation.
- With oversight and/or direction completes vital signs per patient's plan of care.
- With oversight and/or direction weighs patients per patient's plan of care.
- With oversight and/or direction reinforces patient education.
- Provides transportation assistance.
- Reports any variation from patient's plan of care to professional staff.
- Attends to patient amenities; e.g., newspaper, mail.
Documents all data collected, in Cerner and/or on worksheets, accurately, completely, and in a timely manner to provide an accurate record of patient activities and response to activities.
- Documentation is completed in an ongoing basis prior to end of shift.
- Documentation reflects patient's responses to activities according to patient's plan of care.
- Documentation reflects care delivered.
Provides activities to contribute to a safe, efficient, effective and sanitary patient care environment.
- Completes daily room cleaning according to established procedures for high dusting, vacuuming, mopping hard surface floors, disinfecting vertical surfaces, and spot cleaning vertical surfaces.
- Keep rooms neat and tidy, free of clutter.
- Removes trash and soiled linen from room each shift and as needed.
- Maintains patient environment, such as spills and room temperature, or actively utilizes Integrated Services team to do so properly.
- Distributes linens to servitors’ per par levels.
- Straightens and restocks patient care areas per par levels.
- Attends to patient amenities; e.g., newspapers, mail, watering plants.
Consistently recognizes and utilizes measures to provide for safe, efficient, patient care and work environment.
- Answers Call Lights in a timely manner and response to the patient request and/or relays request to appropriate resource when necessary.
- Performs other duties as delegated/under the direction of the professional staff.
- Ensures coverage of all duties when self or other staff are off the nursing unit.
- Assists other team members when own work is complete.
- Appropriately reports incidents.
- Utilizes Standard Precautions and Transmission-based Precautions infection control techniques correctly and consistently.
Directly responsible to the licensed nurse and assists in the care of the patient by performing activities delegated by the license nurse based on task, circumstance, person, communication and supervision.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.