- Purpose of Job
- Schedules patient appointments and all surgical and diagnostic procedures. Provides patient instruction regarding all procedures. Ensures efficient and patient friendly workflow to help provide quality care. Updates patient demographic, and insurance information.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) required.
- Post-secondary education/training in healthcare, or business operations preferred.
- Minimum of 1-3 years in patient scheduling, insurance registration, or patient care delivery required.
- Experience in Cardiology preferred.
- Knowledge of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations, legal and ethical considerations related to patient information and company business practices.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of insurance requirements to assure appropriate referrals, precertification, eligibility, etc.
- Knowledge of scheduling processes for in-patient procedures and out-patient diagnostic tests providing patient education and instructions.
- Understanding of third party payer arrangements required.
- Skill in operating office equipment such as a personal computer, email account, practice management software, electronic medical record, scanner/fax/copy machine and telephone system.
- Skill in verbal and written communication.
- Ability to adapt positively to changes in schedules, assignments and workload.
- Ability to learn quickly and provide temporary back-up coverage for other job positions to meet staffing needs.
- Ability to organize time and materials effectively achieving goals.
- Ability to type 40 words per minute.
- Ability to work in a rapid paced environment with a fluctuating work volume.
- Ability to work collaboratively with physicians, managers and other staff in a professional manner to promote effective teambuilding
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force.
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Schedule all cardiology electrophysiology, interventional, diagnostic, device, and cardiac catheterization procedure as directed by cardiology clinic. Coordinates and schedules procedure with other departments/surgeons for combination cases. Contacts Methodist Access Center Surgery Scheduling and/or other health system procedure departments to finalize procedures and hospital admissions.
Provides Access Center Surgery Scheduling and others with cardiology orders including surgical instructions, pre-operative appointments, labs and diagnostic scheduling. Works with patient to schedule any upcoming appointments required by physician.
Modifies physicians schedule if necessary working with reception staff for displacement of scheduled patients. Contacts patient with any time change due to physician schedule if necessary.
Gathers and distributes appropriate educational materials/information such as EMMI program or clinical visit summary to patient regarding upcoming orders and activities. Provides instructions per physician orders sheet
Utilizes practice management system to schedule new and follow-up patient visits for physicians, pacemaker clinic, Coumadin clinic and nurse visits.
Utilizes practice management system to register new patients and update existing patient demographic and referring physician information.
Verifies insurance eligibility and enters insurance information into practice management system.
Coordinates patient visits to ensure appropriate workflow as well as efficiency for the physician and surgical/diagnostic schedule.
Works collaboratively with out-patient facilities and hospital staff to schedule lab work, diagnostic/surgical procedures and hospital admissions.
Provides patient instruction for lab and diagnostic tests.
Frequently works the “bump list” and enters patients on the “wait list” to facilitate appropriate patient follow-up.
Prints out daily clinic schedules and distributes according to protocol.
Utilizes EMR to manage assigned tabs in Task Baskets.
Understands and applies rules and regulations pertaining to third party payers. Submits referral to pre-certification staff.
Sends out follow-up letters to wait-list appointments and scans into EMR.
Requests medical records from referring physician for new patients.
Effectively functions as a liaison between patients, referring physician and/or office staff.
Answers incoming phone calls, appropriately processes caller requests and accurately relays messages.
Acts as back-up for receptionist to include meeting and greeting patients, and having an understanding of the check-in process.
Scans documents into the EMR and faxes data when requested.
Enters physician appointments and meetings in the practice management system and calendars as directed.
Uses work time productively. Demonstrates ability to organize time and sets appropriate priorities.
Promotes a positive clinic image by setting a professional impression to include adhering to the Methodist Standards of Behavior.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.