- Purpose of Job
- Process (i.e. centrifuge, aliquot, distribute, store) patient specimens appropriately and in a safe manner. Utilizes interpersonal skills in communication and cooperation to assist with processing specimen, entering data, and cleaning work section to ensure patient satisfaction.
- Job Requirements
- High School diploma, General Educational Development (G.E.D.), or equivalent skills and knowledge required.
- Experience in data entry and/or previous laboratory experience preferred.
- Ability to work within a fast paced clinical laboratory with many interruptions and changing priorities required.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Not neccessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Not Related:
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Note: Safety Officer can assist with identification of job hazards
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Process (i.e. centrifuge, aliquot, distribute, store) patient specimens appropriately and in a safe manner to ensure accurate and timely test results by following section policies and procedures.
- No recurring valid complaints or incident reports of incorrectly labeled aliquots.
- No recurring valid complaints from other sections or clients of delays in specimen delivered to testing areas.
- Operates the pneumatic tube system correctly by review of incident reports and direct observation.
Accurately enter patient information (i.e. demographics, test orders, test results) in the computer to ensure timely reports to caregivers by following section policies and procedures.
- Patient demographics accurately transcribed 95% of the time by supervisor review of registration sheets.
- No recurring valid client complaints of test not ordered or wrong test performed.
- Results are entered accurately by review of all results by technologists the following day.
Promote and maintain communication both within the section and with the laboratory, hospital personnel, couriers, and clients to facilitate excellent laboratory services by using the phone, taking messages, and forwarding information to the appropriate personnel.
- No recurring valid complaints from laboratory personnel, hospital personnel or clients.
- Appropriate communication skills as directly observed by supervisory personnel.
Prioritize and organize work to facilitate the timely and accurate completion of multiple tasks simultaneously by assessing the urgency of the tasks and the time required to complete them.
- Complete work in timely manner as directly observed by supervisory personnel.
- No recurring valid complaints from laboratory personnel or clients.
Participates as a team member to facilitate the efficiency and effectiveness of the section by utilizing interpersonal skills in communication, cooperation, and assisting coworkers in all areas.
- An effective team member as directly observed by supervisory personnel.
- No recurring valid complaints from coworkers, laboratory personnel or clients.
Maintain section materials to ensure adequate supplies by taking inventory and placing orders as assigned.
- Supplies are available by no special or stat orders of supplies.
- No overstocking of supplies by direct observation.
Perform maintenance and function checks of various equipment (i.e. centrifuges, freezers, refrigerators) and notify the team leader of variations to assure the equipment is operating within acceptable limits by following section policies and procedures.
- Day shift; temperatures and function checks are recorded daily by review of records.
- Evening/night shifts; malfunction of equipment is reported to supervisory personnel.
Maintain a clean and orderly section to ensure a safe working environment by assisting in cleaning and organizing supplies and work areas.
- Counter tops are cleaned per policy review of records.
- Cleanliness as directly observed by supervisory personnel.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.