- Purpose of Job
- Performs various direct and indirect patient care activities and functions under the supervision of the Registered Nurse or Manager. Performs duties essentially of personal care which might be given to convalescent, chronically ill or disabled persons in their homes. Care is provided in working with individuals and families to assist them to assume responsibilities toward self care. Supportive cares are provided to patients in the Hospice program to enable them to maintain comfort measures as determined by the Hospice Interdisciplinary Team.
- Job Requirements
- Successful completion of the 75 hour Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) certification course required.
- A high school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED); may include specialized or vocational courses required.
- Valid state driver's license and current automobile insurance required.
- Certification as a certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) required.
- Maintain current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- One to two years healthcare experience in Long Term Care (LTC) or Home Health preferred.
- Require the ability to understand and carry out instructions, follow schedules, communicate information, read simple and clear instructions and complete reports.
- Must be able to collect, record and report patient needs to the appropriate caregiver.
- Requires the ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills commensurate with job description.
- Participate in mandatory inservices and continuing education programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by supervisor.
- Physical Requirements
- Continuous stand/walk and lift/handle/carry material or equipment of moderate to heavy weight of > 50 lbs.
- Located in an indoor area with frequent exposure to mild physical discomfort from dust, fumes, temperature, and noise. Frequent travel to patient's homes.
- OSHA Category 1: Tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissues, and other potentially infectious materials.
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Provides direct resident care under the supervision of licensed professional nursing team.
- Assists with or completes oral hygiene, bathing, dressing, shaving, nail care and hair care of the residents with completeness and accuracy according to plan of care.
- Assists Staff Nurse with treatment procedure as directed, in an accurate precise manner.
Prepares and transports or ambulates residents for meals, sets up each resident and resident's tray; assists in feeding residents (if necessary) and distributes water and other nourishments according to resident's needs.
Assists and accompanies resident in the admission, transfer, and discharge process while assuring comfort and safety.
- Performs and documents resident admission data correctly.
- Regularly makes rounds to assigned residents.
Provides Indirect Resident Care by ensuring privacy for all residents by closing doors, utilizing curtains, shades down (at night and during cares), keeping resident properly covered during cares, knocking on doors before entering and using low tone of voice.
Demonstrates an awareness and understanding of residents' needs for comfort and safety; follows through accurately to provide residents with good nursing care.
- Keeps call lights within resident's reach.
- Answers call lights promptly and courteously.
- Responds to resident requests.
Cleans work areas on own initiative.
- Maintains assigned residents rooms in a clean and sanitary condition at all times.
- Assists in cleaning and organizing of the work area.
Assumes responsibility for residents' clothing and personal property (prosthetic devices, hearing aids, glasses, etc.) by securing items in accordance with established procedures.
- Accurately notes and always provides for safe care of residents' valuables.
- Accurately marks all residents' valuables and clothing.
Exhibits excellent interpersonal relations with patients, co-workers, physicians, and guests to ensure effective communications.
- Responds to patient needs promptly and courteously.
- Obtains feedback from patients and visitors regarding their hospital experience.
- Communicates patient issues to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains a positive attitude while responding to requests in a timely and accurate manner.
- Communicates with other members of the health care team (food service, secretaries, housekeeping, etc.) as indicated.
- Actively participates in report process.
Ability to understand and carry out instructions, follow schedules, complete reports and medical record documentation.
Ability to correct, record and report potential needs to the appropriate caregiver.
Ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills commensurate with the job requirements.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values ~ Living Our Values, and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.