- Purpose of Job
- Performs various direct and indirect resident care activities and functions under the direct supervision of the Unit Nurse or Manager. Provides physical, social and emotional needs to residents within a safe, protective environment. May administer medications and treatments, take vital signs, chart, escort/transport residents and assist with activities of daily living based upon certification and assignment.
- Job Requirements
- Successful completion of the 75 hour CNA certification course required.
- A high school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) required.
- Certification as a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) required.
- 40 hour Medication Aide Certification required within 6 months of hire.
- 6 months to one year healthcare experience in Long Term Care preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to collect, record and report resident needs.
- Ability to carry out instructions, follow schedules, communicate information, read and complete reports.
- Ability to document resident care activities in the medical record.
- Physical Requirements
- Continuously stand/walk or lift/handle/carry material or equipment of moderate weight (20 to 50 lbs). Examples: Nurses, LVNs, and physical therapists.
- Located in an indoor area. Examples: patient care providers and laboratory technicians.
- OSHA Category 1: Tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissues, and other potentially infectious materials.
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
- Certified Nursing Assistant
Provides direct resident care under the supervision of licensed professional nursing team.
- Assists with or completes oral hygiene, bathing, dressing, shaving, nail care and hair care of the residents with competence and accuracy according to plan of care.
- Assists Staff Nurse with treatment procedure as directed, in an accurate precise manner.
Prepares and transports or ambulates residents for meals, sets up each resident and resident's tray within 15 minutes of arrivals; assists in feeding residents (if necessary) and distributes water and other nourishments according to resident's needs.
Assists and accompanies resident in the admission, transfer, and discharge process while assuring comfort and safety.
- Performs and documents resident admission data correctly.
- Regularly makes rounds to assigned residents.
Provides Indirect Resident Care by ensuring privacy for all residents by closing doors, utilizing curtains, shades down (at night and during cares), keeping resident properly covered during cares, knocking on doors before entering and using low tone of voice.
Demonstrates an awareness and understanding of residents' needs for comfort and safety; follows through accurately to provide residents with good nursing care.
- Keeps call lights within resident's reach.
- Answers call lights promptly and courteously.
- Responds to resident requests.
- Consistently promotes a positive resident and employee experience.
Cleans work areas on own initiative.
- Maintains assigned residents rooms in a clean and sanitary condition at all times.
- Assists in cleaning and organizing of the work area.
Assumes responsibility for residents' clothing and personal property (prosthetic devices, hearing aids, glasses, etc.) by securing items in accordance with established procedures.
- Accurately notes and always provides for safe care of residents' valuables.
- Accurately marks all residents' valuables and clothing.
In addition to performing the duties of a CNA, the Medication Aide (MA):
- Regularly provides residents with fresh water.
- In accordance with policies and legal limitations, administers specified medication, and provides accurate and completes documentation in the EMR.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values ~ Living Our Values, and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.