- Purpose of Job
- Provides a safe environment for patient(s) whose behavior has been identified at risk for injury and/or may jeopardize the continuation of medically necessary treatment.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D) required
- Participate in mandatory inservices and continuing education programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by supervisor.
- Previous cleaning, food service and/or patient related experience preferred.
- Orientation and on the job experience will be provided to learn hospital procedures and work routines.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Current Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) required.
- Require the ability to understand and carry out instructions, follow schedules, communicate information, read simple and clear instructions.
- Must be able to collect, and report patient needs to the appropriate caregiver.
- Requires ability to demonstrate critical thinking skills commensurate with job description.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment, as outlined in the Age Specific Criteria.
- Demonstrates ability to identify opportunities for and give individualized customer service/care according to customer/patient needs.
Exhibits excellent interpersonal relations with patients, co-workers, and guests to ensure effective communications.
- Responds to patient needs promptly and courteously.
- Communicates patient issues to the appropriate staff.
- Maintains a positive attitude while responding to requests in a timely and accurate manner.
- Behavior logs completed after each shift and turned into Core.
Provides a safe environment for patient(s) whose behavior has been identified at risk for injury and/or may jeopardize the continuation of medically necessary treatment.
- Assists in keeping excess stimulation to a minimum.
- Provides assistance with repositioning, turning and chair transfers.
- Provides transportation assistance.
- Assists with every two hour toileting schedule, if appropriate.
- Respond to bed exit, sit/stand alarms by assisting the patient(s) in their immediate needs.
The primary nurse will report the activity and nutritional level of the assigned patient(s).
- Helps feed patients as necessary.
- Assists in offering nutrition/fluids on a frequent basis, if appropriate.
Helps maintain patient environment.
- Help keep room neat and tidy, free of clutter.
- Attends to patient amenities; e.g., newspapers, mail, tissues.
Helps maintain patient safety.
- Calls for assistance if unsure of observation or activities of the patient(s).
- Assists with diversional activities, if appropriate.
- Is sitting for two patients, companion will sit in hallway between the two rooms and maintain visual contact with both patients.
- Is sitting for a suicide precaution patient, companion must have constant visual contact of the patient at all times. (refer to suicide precaution policy).
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.