- Purpose of Job
- The Line Cook will accurately and efficiently prepare, portion, cook and present a variety of hot and/or cold food items for various meal periods: to include Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Special/Catered Events. In the long term care setting, responsibilities include assisting service in the dining room. In the retail setting, will assist in the setup and serving of food from counters and steam tables, retail operation, including setup, maintaining supplies and products, and assisting in cleanup and closedown.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (G.E.D.) preferred.
- Prior meal preparation or cooking.
- Maintains a professional relationship with all coworkers, supervisors, managers, vendor representatives, customers, client representatives, patients and residents.
- Presents self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Able to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Ability to use a computer and employ basic math skills.
- Requires familiarity of kitchen equipment.
- Must be able to read and follow a recipe unsupervised.
- Applies some advanced cooking skills.
- Extensive working knowledge of food preparation.
- May adapt procedures, tools, equipment and techniques to meet the requirements of the position.
- Knowledge of basic operating equipment.
- Physical Requirements
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus, with or without correct lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
- Generally in an indoor setting; however, may involve outside activities and events.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Follows basic recipes and/or product directions for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, carving and serving soups, meats, vegetables, desserts and other foodstuffs for consumption in eating establishments.
Tastes products, reads menus, estimates food requirements, checks production, and keeps records in order to accurately plan production requirements and requisition supplies and equipment.
Intermediate to advanced knife skills required.
Prepares foods by operating a variety of kitchen equipment to measure and mix ingredients, washing, peeling, cutting and shredding fruits and vegetables, and trimming and cutting meat, poultry or fish for culinary use.
May clean and sanitize work stations and equipment.
Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training.
Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
May receive inventory, move and lift foodstuffs and supplies and prepare meals for customers requiring special diets.
May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values ~ Living Our Values, and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System