- Purpose of Job
- Provides assistance to the MPC Coding Department related to charge entry and the charge capture process.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D) required
- 12 months previous medical records or office preferred.
- Experience with EMR preferred.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer proficiency.
- Ability to manage multiple activities.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born & blood borne viruses)
(Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-Ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Serves as primary contact for the MPC Coding Department to assist with charge entry and charge capture.
- Proficiency in data entry; 10-key and alpha-numeric.
- Follows confidentiality policy 100% of the time.
- Extensive knowledge of system required to perform the necessary job functions.
Perform charge entry from charge tickets prepared by Coding Department staff members.
- Daily data entry performed on incoming workflow from Hospital Coding staff.
- Maintains no more than a 72 hour backlog of charges to be entered.
- Keypunch 125 lines per hour.
- Maintain 98% keypunch accuracy.
Perform charge entry from word documents and excel documents prepared by Compliance Department staff members.
- Flexible in the types of documents being worked.
Performs encounter combine function when requested/appropriate to correct encounter errors in EMR.
- Combine encounters correctly 98% of the time.
- Combine encounters within 24 hours of notification 95% of time.
Download, format and distribute hospital discharge reports for Hospital Coding staff members.
- Download, format and distribute daily hospital discharge reports within 24 hours.
- Download, format and distribute weekly hospital discharge catch-up report within 24 hours
- Download, format and distribute monthly hospital discharge catch-up report within 24 hours.
Download and review the monthly OB report.
- Communicate with MPC Support staff any encounters that require EDC added.
- Communicate with the Business Office staff any outlying encounters.
Download Vascular studies reports on a daily basis.
- Review reports for missing charges.
- Prepare missing charges for Vascular coder.
- Key charges once coder has validated missing charges are accurate.
Validate data entry reports on a daily basis.
- Validate keypunch accuracy from previous days date entry.
- Identify errors in a timely fashion for supervisor.
- Prepare error reports for timely corrections by Compliance Department.
Prepare data entry reports for retention.
- Daily preparation of data entry reports for retention.
- Follow retention plan 100% of the time.
Identify CPT codes that are not built in the system.
- Identify CPT codes that cannot be keyed into the system, including the Activity Type.
- Prepare the IT build report on a weekly basis for timely code build.
Other projects as identified by supervisor.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System