- Purpose of Job
- Processes incoming soiled linens to ready then for the washing process. Loads soiled linen onto soiled conveyor. Sorts and separates soiled linens at soiled conveyor and in the soiled sort area. Practices Universal Precautions. Adheres and complies with company policies outlining procedures and techniques used in the handling of soiled linens.
- Job Requirements
- For safety reasons, qualified applicants must be able to speak and understand English sufficiently to perform safety requirements and demonstrate the ability to follow safety rules required.
- No experience necessary, will train.
- Must successfully complete Back School, an in-service and demonstration of safe body mechanics, within
90 days of hire, and annually thereafter.
- Must successfully complete Back School, an in-service and demonstration of safe body mechanics, within 90 days of hire, and annually thereafter.
- Ability to lift and transport bags of linen.
- Constant turning, twisting, stooping and crouching movements to remove linens from racks and baskets.
- Requires constant grasping and pulling abilities .
- Must be able to stand for an eight hour shift.
- Employs the use of repetitive motions on a daily basis.
- Ability to multitask and plan workload.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Heavy Work - Exerting up to 100 pounds of force.
- Not neccessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Frequent (67%-100%):
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Ensures all guidelines pertaining to Universal precautions are adhered to on a daily basis.
Wears protective gloves, barrier gown, and protective eye wear. Also utilizes optional masks caps and shoe covers. These items must be removed and hand washed before going into clean areas and lunch room.
Transports dirty linen from incoming racks / baskets to soiled conveyor belt. Open bags, loading soiled linen on conveyor.
Separates mops, rags, bibs, surgery towels dish towels, aprons, lab coats, specified scrub clothes and other linen as designated.
Identifies heavily soiled linens and separates them to be washed in first floor extractors.
Cleans empty racks / baskets removing trash and foreign materials. Then sterilizes all racks and baskets before pushing them to the clean side of laundry. Must ensure sling travel areas are not blocked.
Keeps accounts processed separated. Puts labeled dividers onto the soiled conveyor belt notifying sorters that accounts have been changed.
Sorts linens by items into specified laundry chutes, ensuring each piece is placed in proper bin.
- Feeding - 2250 pounds per hour
- Sorting - 964 pounds per hour
Fills sorting bins to designated tape lines, and discharges bins when filled.
Operates panel that runs the soiled sort conveyors.
Using lift, lowers heavy soiled linen and other specified items from 2nd floor to first floor wash room.
Informs supervisor of problems pertaining to daily operations or equipment.
Follows established procedures when dealing with sharps, hazardous materials or customers lost and found items.
Practices set safety guidelines that pertain to equipment and the work environment. Takes action to correct and communicate unsafe conditions.
Keeps work area clean and sweeps daily at end of shift. Does lint control functions blowing down equipment weekly.
Cleans and disinfects soiled conveyor belts on a weekly basis.
Watches for and identifies yellow bags, black bags and hazardous bags that take special processing.
Opens new linen readying for the wash process.
Works in clean processing area when needed.
Reviews rejected (blue bag) linen sorting into rags, rewash and stain-wash classifications.
Cleans and disinfects customer pillows readying them to be returned to customers.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.