- Purpose of Job
- Patrols hospital buildings, adjacent facility owned clinics, and grounds to ensure a safe environment for Health Care Services.
- Job Requirements
- A high school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) required.
- Specialized or vocational courses preferred.
- A formal training program after high school preferred.
- A valid drivers license required.
- Certification in the security field preferred.
- No experience required.
- One to two years experience preferred.
- Excellent decision making, ability to work with people in a variety of situations, oral and written communication skills.
- Physical Requirements
- Continuously stand/walk.
- Lift/handle/carry material or equipment of moderate weight (20 to 50 lbs).
- Regular exposure to moderate physical discomfort from fumes or odors, temperature extremes, loud noises, and bright lights.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Category 1: Tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissues, and other potentially infectious materials.
- Must assist healthcare workers with disruptive visitors and patients.
- Requires dealing with potentially hostile situations.
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
All Medical Center facilities are patrolled and secured to provide a safe environment for health care operations.
- Performs security procedures and duties/responsibilities required of security officers.
- Facilities are secured and unlocked, floors, grounds, parking lots, adjacent clinics are patrolled to ensure a safe environment for health care operations.
The officer responds to all calls for assistance to provide support and control enabling health care to be ministered.
- Responds to all Emergency Codes to assist as needed to ensure support and control in emergency situations.
- Responds to routine calls from the Communication Center and assorted personnel to ensure a safe environment for health care.
The security officer initiates, investigates, and logs incidents to protect assets of Methodist Fremont Hospital (MFH), staff, patients, and visitors.
- Officer fills out Security Occurrence Reports for any unlawful, abusive or combative situations to ensure a safe environment for health care operations.
- Officer completes a daily log sheet detailing minor incidents and patrol times to provide a baseline for potential investigations and corrective procedures.
- Assists Security Coordinator with investigations to ensure an accurate accounting of incidents and occurrences.
The security officer will demonstrate the values and philosophies of MFH when dealing with patients and visitors to ensure a safe health care environment.
- Confronts unauthorized persons both in the Facility and grounds to ensure a safe environment.
- Restrains unruly patients or individuals with as limited force as possible to ensure medical treatment is ministered.
- Controls potentially violent and violent situations, friends and family members to ensure a safe heathcare environment.
- Assists local law enforcement agencies and fire personnel to ensure MFH policies and procedures are followed and staff is permitted to work in a safe environment.
The officer performs minor maintenance functions as time and abilities permit to maintain a safe working environment.
- The officer is responsible for recording accurate readings on specific equipment in order to assist maintenance in problem solving or trouble shooting.
- Makes determination when maintenance staff needs to be called to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for health care operations.
Safety Initiative-Complies with MFH safety policies and procedures and regulatory requirements (e.g., OSHA, JCAHO, CLIA, etc.).
- Performs job duties in a manner consistent with organization and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Completes departmental safety requirements, i.e., blitz, departmental in-services, etc., on an annual basis.
Performs other position appropriate duties as required in a competent, professional, and courteous manner.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values ~ Living Our Values, and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.