- Purpose of Job
- The Physical Therapist (PT) restores patient's function, alleviates pain, and prevents disabilities by planning and administering medically prescribed physical therapy.
- Job Requirements
- Successful completion of a Physical Therapy bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or doctorate degree from a Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) accredited program required.
- An unrestricted Nebraska Physical Therapy License required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- For inpatient and outpatient, 3 years of experience preferred.
- Electronic Medical Record entry experience preferred.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills required.
- Basic computer knowledge including proficiency with Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Must be able to travel between clinic and home locations if required.
- Physical Requirements
- Frequently stand/walk.
- Occasional Stair Climbing.
- Frequently lift/handle/carry moderate weight (20 to 50 lbs.).
- Frequent hand use.
- Frequent grasping, forceful gripping, pinching.
- Ability to safely operate mechanical lifts and transfer devices.
- Ability to manipulate various tools requiring adequate eye/hand and fine motor coordination.
- Occasional squatting and stooping.
- In inpatient and outpatient settings, indoor environment with frequent exposure to mild discomfort from dust, fumes, temperature, and noise.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Category 1: Tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissues, and other potentially infectious materials.
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Evaluate a wide variety of patient types and identify physical dysfunction and functional capabilities to facilitate appropriate treatment of patients.
- Performs patient evaluation on initial visit and follows guideline recommendations to establish treatment plan from evaluation.
- Review medical records to assist in the evaluation process and contacts attending physician to gather information as needed.
- For each diagnosis, chooses appropriate tests and measures and utilizes appropriate outcome tool.
- Functional and appropriate goals are set with realistic time frames. Patient and families are included in goal planning.
- Ongoing re-evaluation is evidenced in documentation over the course of a week or as indicated for patient condition / status.
- Assess needs for additional interdisciplinary services and refers patients for these services.
Establish and implement patient focused treatment program with regular follow-up to achieve maximum functional improvement with efficiency.
- Treatment plan is based on objective evaluations and achievable short and long term goals with time frames and direction toward desired outcome.
- Treatment plans are appropriate for patient diagnosis and constantly re-evaluated for effectiveness.
- Ongoing re-assessment is evident in documentation and is addressed by modifying the plan of care.
- Content and frequency of the program are adjusted as the patients condition or status warrants.
- Coordinates treatments with interdisciplinary services as needed.
Patient documentation is thorough and timely, enhancing communication and ensuring completion of Medical Record.
- In accordance with policy, efficiently completes initial evaluation, progress notes, discharge summary and patient progress reports.
- Documentation accurately reflects services provided, patient response and progress.
- Updates physician both verbally and in writing as to the progress of the patient prior to discharge or the next physician office visit.
- Follows criteria for quality documentation as outlined by guidelines including all requirements (surgeries, signatures, allergies).
Provides patient education to facilitate patient rehabilitation.
- Education is evidenced by either documentation, written handout or direct observation.
- When possible, patient will convey understanding of key principles, precautions and instructions by demonstration.
- Utilizes the services of interpreters, child-life specialists, etc to assist with instruction as needed or requested.
Patient billing is appropriate and accurately reflects the services provided for each therapy session to reflect accurate billing of services.
- Responsible for identifying appropriate charges based on treatment rendered.
Participates in the clinical instruction of students to facilitate their education and promote the profession and department.
- Provides supervision and guidance appropriate for each student, to ensure appropriate evaluation and treatment of patients as well as educational outcome of the student.
- Complies with school/department requirements for supervision/feedback.
Assists with program development, including department programs, when indicated to assist with the development of marketing strategies and provide input to the coordinators of these programs.
- Attends meetings and fosters excellence by demonstration of current knowledge base and participation with program development to achieve goals.
- Participates in community education through speaking engagements, covering health fairs or other events as needed.
- Develops physician and staff relationships.
- Participates and assists with marketing strategies as needed.
Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Practices hand hygiene per policy.
- Demonstrates knowledge of personal protective equipment and the appropriate time to don/doff.
- Understand universal precautions and bloodbourne pathogens safety.
- Understanding of all other policies and procedures relating to infection-control.
Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of Treatment, as outlined in the Age Specific Criteria.
Demonstrates responsibility with all job related duties.
- Takes accountability to cover all assigned shifts.
- Consistently clocks in and out at appropriate times correctly using KRONOS.
- Accepts responsibility for actions and consequences.
Attitude and communication approach reflects the core values of the Rehab department.
- Listens carefully, checks on understanding before responding and accepts and offers feedback.
- Proactively seeks solutions to challenges within the work environment.
- Adapts, without difficulty, to changes in assignment and environment.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Living our Values and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.