- Purpose of Job
- Functions as a surgical technician in the Operating Room (OR) suite at the Surgery Center carrying out scrubbing and other assigned duties associate with patient care in the department. Functions as a scrubbed assistant to the physician as necessary.
- Job Requirements
- High School diploma or General Education Development (G.E.D.) required.
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technician program or its equivalent in military training required.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) certification through national exam preferred.
- 1 to 2 years experience in related field preferred.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Physical Requirements
- Continuous standing or walking
- Standing for long periods of time
- Lift/handle/carry material or equipment of moderate weight (20-50 lbs.)
- Bends, stoops and crouches frequently
- Manual dexterity
- Various tool manipulation requiring adequate eye/hand and fine motor coordination
- Physical demands include moving (pushing/pulling) large carts
- Located in an environment with regular exposure to moderate physical discomfort from fumes orders, temperature extremes, loud noises and bright lights.
- OSHA Category 1: Tasks that involve exposure to blood, body fluids, tissues, and other potentially infectious materials.
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Performs preoperative preparation.
- Reviews physician preference list before operative procedure and assembles supplies and equipment needed for procedure.
- Opens sterile supplies using sterile technique.
- Transfers medications and solutions to the sterile field according to policy under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN).
- Communicates clearly and collaborates with other members of the preoperative team to prepare operative procedure.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge and proficient practice in the first scrub role in complex cases.
Functions as scrub person during operative procedure by preparing, monitoring, and maintaining a sterile field.
- Completing surgical scrub according to policy.
- Performs scrub duties in an accurate, concise and timely manner.
- Wears appropriate personal protective apparel (PPA) and follows standard and policy for attire in the operating room.
- Organizes and maintains sterile instruments and supplies in organized manner.
- Performs counts according to facility policy and procedure during procedure and hand-off situations.
- Assisting with draping sterile field according to standard.
- Watches progress of the operation and anticipates needs of team members.
- Disassembles instruments and equipment, transports to processing department.
- Assists with cleaning room and prepares for subsequent procedure.
Applies base knowledge and principles during operative procedure (Intraoperative Surgical).
- Base knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient care.
- Principles of computer science, electricity and robotics as needed for surgical patient care.
- Principles of sterile technique during the surgical procedure.
Follows policy and procedure for Intraoperative Surgical procedures.
- Participates in surgical time-out, fire risk assessment, and case summary for each operative procedure.
- Identifies labels and handles specimens including hand-off situations and disposition of specimen.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values ~ Living Our Values, and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.