- Purpose of Job
- Performs duties, and procedures of a certified medical assistant.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma, or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) required.
- Associate's of Applied Science Degree from a Commission of Accredited Commission Allied Health Education Program (CAAHEP) - accredited college program preferred.
- Participates in mandatory in services, and continuing education programs as mandated by policies, and procedures, and as directed by supervisor.
- Previous employment in a physician's office, or other related field.
- Current Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) required.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification preferred.
- Promote positive relations interacting with patients or other customers.
- Knowledge of medical procedures, aseptic technique, and EMR documentation.
- Knowledge of medicine including recognizing, and diagnosed diseases, deformities, and other illnesses.
- Skill to proficiently type information into the computer to capture or detail information quickly.
- Ability to provide caring patient care services when talking with patients and their family members.
- Ability to critically listen to questions from patients and information from providers to convey information effectively.
- Ability to anticipate, recognize, and resolve problems before they occur and avoid bigger problems in the future.
- Ability to problem solve during several daily activities which includes the ability to be flexible.
- Ability to learn and proficiently navigate through computer programs that contain patient information.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction with providers, staff and patients.
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions/directions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to anticipate and meet the needs of patients/clients.
- Skill in prioritizing, organizing and performing assigned tasks.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Promotes positive relations when interacting with patients, visitors, families, physicians, customers, and co-workers.
- Greets, smiles, and makes eye contact.
- Introduces self by name.
- Volunteers to help co-workers, and other employees.
- Addresses patients, and others by surname.
- Responds quickly to patients, and/or other peoples' needs.
- Knows, and demonstrated 6 step customer complaint management process.
- Identifies problems, and/ or customer concerns, and reports them promptly to clinic manager.
- Follows the standards of timeliness, and office policies.
- Practices excellent customer service skills.
Recall system, and filing system.
- Maintains a recall system to retrieve computerized information, records, and code names in a notebook accessible to office personnel.
- Maintains an up-to-date filing system for all correspondence, projects, and educational information.
- Maintain copies of all patient information, and scans into electronic medical record.
- Verifies insurance coverage in PayNav prior to patient's appointment.
- Collects co-pay amounts, and posts in HealthPay 24.
- Scans insurance cards, and verifies patient identification, including face photo.
- Ensures all consent forms are signed (Consent to Treat, NEHII, HIPAA, etc.).
- Enroll patients in the BestCare.org Patient Portal.
Collects initial data to prepare patients to see the physician.
- Follows office practice protocols.
- Makes appropriate appointments for patients in department, and other departments.
Communicates with physicians, and other staff regarding changes.
- Follows the standards of timeliness, and office policies.
Receives incoming phone calls to the Clinic.
- Must have excellent telephone etiquette.
- Must be able to refer calls to the appropriate personnel, and be able to retrieve information for the caller.
Practices excellent customer service skills.
- Follows the practices, and policies of the Health System regarding customer service.
Maintains confidentiality regarding patients, and their injuries/illnesses, and obtains appropriate releases.
- Follows Iowa Worker's Compensation guidelines, and hospital protocols regarding release of information.
Charts appropriately, concisely, and as needed in the patient record, includes communication with employer.
- Follows standards of practice for charting, and documentation.
Assists physicians with patient visits.
- Follows the principles of infection control, and minor surgery protocols.
- Follows the policies for office equipment sterilization, and infection control.
- Communicates with physicians, and other staff regarding changes.
Transports patients, and assists with their needs in the department.
Performs patient care skills - weight, blood pressure, pulse, oxygen, temperature.
Maintains a list of all pending appointments for Radiation Oncology patients.
Ensure all appropriate materials are sent to the pre-authorization team.
Makes appropriate referrals to American Cancer Society (ACS), and Wings of Hope Cancer Support Center.
Registers every new patient for an EMMI educational program, and follows up with patient to ensure completion.
Identifies problems, and/or customer concerns, and reports them promptly to clinic manager.
- Follows the principles for prompt, and effective customer service practices.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System