- Purpose of Job
The Health Information Management Supervisor collaborates with the Service Leader to oversee the direct management of the activities of the Health Information Department and activities related to the electronic health record (EHR) for multiple acute care facilities within the organization. Responsibilities include staff supervision for the HIM area with oversight of the EHR maintenance and timely record completion, security, quality, data reporting, form creation, archival prepping, scanning, ROI processes and ensuring efficient, productive and high quality system operations.
Serves as a resource to the Providers, Data Integrity Analysts (DIAs), and all other Health Information Management (HIM) staff in the Health Information Department. Acts as liason between Health Information Management and Informatics, Performance Improvement, and Medical Staff.
- Collaborates with informatics and revenue cycle to define and implement policies and procedures to ensure information governance, integrity and compliance of the legal health record and the designated record sets.
- Job Requirements
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor's degree in Health Information Management (HIM) preferred.
- Minimum two years of experience in a health care setting or service venue required.
- Minimum one year of lead or supervisory experience preferred.
- Minimum one year of Health Information Management experience preferred.
- Current Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) certification by American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) or be eligible to sit for the RHIA exam within 1-3 years (upon completion of Health Information Management (HIM) accredited program).
- Sound knowledge of medical record practices.
- Sound knowledge of medical terminology and disease processes.
- Strong problem solving skills required.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Advanced interpersonal relationship and customer service skills required to effectively communicate with staff, physicians, administrators, patients, visitors and vendors.
- Ability to lead a diverse HIM team: mentor, supervise, delegate and evaluate.
- Ability to provide excellence in customer service required.
- Strong computer skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to learn and work with multiple software/hardware products during the course of an average workday.
- Ability to operate printer, copier, scanner, and fax machines.
- Possesses knowledge of ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS, APCS, CCI, LCD and NCD edits.
- Ability to generate and interpret various documents and reports to support quality, statistic reporting and performance metrics.
- Good problem-solving skills and strong attention to detail.
- Able to organize and perform multiple tasks, problem-solve and prioritize work assignments to meet specific objectives under time constraints.
- Requires demonstration of the ability to exercise independent problem-solving skills, oversee and meet productivity and department goals, and manage job priorities in a self-directed manner.
- Work in team environment, adapt to change and assume responsibility for job accuracy and timeliness.
- May require flexibility in daily schedule, irregular hours, weekends, and/or holiday in order to meet deadlines and project.
- Must be able to travel locally to multiple sites throughout the organization.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Note: Safety Officer can assist with identification of job hazards
- Essential Job Functions
Customer Service: Embrace / exceeds organizational expectations for customer service.
- Role models customer service excellence to meet / exceed customer service expecations.
- Follows organizational standards of behavior.
- Assists employees in the promotion of service excellence.
- Meets departmental goals for employee engagement scores.
Staff Management: Manages staff scheduling, performance, coaching and discipline to ensure smooth operation of the Health Information Management department in accordance with Health System Strategies Plan.
- Collaborates with Service Leader to:
- Maintain adequate staff for department through scheduling of existing staff and hiring new staff as needed.
- Develop and monitor departmental goals for performance and productivity.
- Complete performance reviews and establishes performance improvement plans, as appropriate including corrective actions.
- Maintain employee personnel files with up to date information and completion of all required forms.
- Monitor staff's performance to assure maximum staff productivity and compliance with department's performance improvement activities utilizing monthly productivity reports.
- Daily monitoring of work queues.
- Ensures Inpatient & Outpatient records are scanned within 24 hours.
- Ensures record analysis is completed within 72 hours.
- Discharge Disposition Accuracy > 99%.
Leadership: Serves as a Leader in Information Governance in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and the Health Information Department.
- Serves as an expert for record management processes and HIM operations for physicians, staff and other departments within the organization. (i.e., Privacy and Security, Records Analysis, Scanning, Patient and Physician Deficiency Analysis).
- Makes supervisory decisions based on own expertise and critical thinking, requesting input from supervisor as needed.
- Analyzes reports to determine areas for improvement.
- Focuses and prioritizes critical issues.
- Develops a strategy for meeting defined goals.
- Encourages quality improvement efforts.
- Communicates and collaborates with Service Leader, as needed.
Staff and Provider Development: Facilitates training of new providers and staff.
- Collaborates with Service Leader to:
- Recruit and retain top talent.
- Provides and/or organizes training of the HIM functions for all new healthcare providers and department staff, as necessary.
- Develops educational material and coordinates training for new employees and providers.
- Serves as a resource on Health Information Management issues to all departments and health care providers.
- Creates an environment for giving and receiving feedback regularly.
- Prioritizes time for coaching every day.
- Uses rewards and recognition to reinforce positive behaviors.
Operations: Monitors department expenditures to stay within budget parameters.
- Aids Service Leader in review of monthly general ledger and budget preparation.
- Provides input regarding departmental needs in preparation for annual budget.
- Coordinates with DIA on system issues with IT and communicates with departmental staff on unresolved issues.
- Works on multiple IT platforms including but not limited to patient billing, Cerner, Record Link and other client IT systems to aid in professional growth and to support the Nebraska Methodist Health System by utilizing various platforms.
Compliance: Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, privacy and other regulatory jurisdictions regarding employee management, Electronic Health Record (EHR) management, HIPAA/Privacy and revenue cycle.
- Collaborates with Service Leader to:
- Develop policies and procedures to support Information Governance and regulatory compliance (i.e. H&P discharge summary and operative reports and accuracy of attending and consulting physicians) in the Electronic Health Record (EHR).
- Is knowledgeable of and maintains The Joint Commission, CMS and other regulatory guidelines.
- Tracks and reports regulatory compliance related to record management.
- Monitor Abstracting
- Ensures Physician deficiencies
- Works collaboratively with medical staff, in achieving timely chart completion rates
- Monitors timeliness of record completion
- Monitors record content
- Facility and state statistics
- Supports meaningful use initiatives
- Maintains HIPAA compliance standards for protected health information and safeguards the patient medical record.
- Ensures proper ROI processes are compliant.
- Ensures processes are followed and appropriate forms are issued and explained to patients prior to staff obtaining signatures from patient, according to organizational privacy guidelines.
- Serves as an active participant on assigned committees providing medical record expertise to assist in meeting goals of department and facility.
- Works with hospital departments, departmental team members, and forms vendor to coordinate development and approval of new forms.
- Works closely to support outside auditors and auditing process.
Revenue Cycle: Supports Revenue Cycle to ensure EMR completion and Recovery Audit process, in accordance to regulatory and third party agreement/rules.
- Ensures Goals of Revenue Cycle are communicated and managed. Interacts with billing office, physicians, IT and hospital personnel to resolve medical record issues by serving as a resource of expertise on record management to staff, other departments, physicians and others for Methodist Hospital and Jennie Ed Hospital.
- Interacts with billing office, physicians, IT and hospital personnel to coordinate timely response to insurance and auditing disputes.
- Participates/supports process for continuous improvement opportunities to reduce third party denials for payments.
Teamwork: Promotes office efficiency and maintains teamwork spirit.
- Facilitates positive interdependence, team building and expectation of working together in the department and with other departments to reach defined goals.
- Maintains department goals for performance and productivity.
- Shares critical information pertaining to newly discovered information or system updates.
- Monitors e-mails and notification and responds to all requests in a timely manner.
- Actively identifies performance improvement opportunities.