- Purpose of Job
- Sorts, disassembles, cleans, and disinfects contaminated instruments and equipment to render items safe for handling.
- Job Requirements
- High School diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) required.
- 1 – 2 years previous experience in Sterile Processing preferred.
- Knowledge of decontamination of surgical instruments preferred.
- Skilled in appropriate surgical instrument sterilization methods preferred.
- Skilled in proper handling and packaging of instruments preferred.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction with staff and customers required.
- Able to read, write, and comprehend various written reports and documents required.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Not neccessary for the position (0%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-Ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Biological agents (primary air born & blood borne viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors,
outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Sorts, disassembles, cleans, and disinfects contaminated instruments and equipment to render items safe for handling, by using special techniques and procedures of Universal Barrier Precautions.
- Follows procedures for manual cleaning process.
- Follows procedures for automated cleaning process.
- Proper use of chemicals and knowledge of Material Safety Data Sheet
- Practices Universal precautions, Infection Control policies and observes safe work practices.
- Communicates to appropriate personnel regarding sharps, punctures and other potential risks.
- Operates decontam machinery in strict accordance with departmental procedures.
- Adheres to using personal protective equipment (PPE) while working in decontam.
Prepares instrument sets/trays and other reusable patient equipment by following recipe sheets to ensure the completeness and accuracy of each item.
- Precisely follows individual recipe sheets for each set/tray/item being assembled.
- Replace lost or damaged instruments as required to complete the set/tray.
- Conducts quality checks on instruments for cleanliness, function, defects, breakage and overall condition.
- Flushes all instruments with lumens or cannulated.
Performs sterile linen processing according to established guidelines to ensure availability of sterile linen. Packages each set/tray/item as directed on each recipe sheet and per the department's policy.
- Correctly assembles and wrap linen packs according to guidelines.
- Keeps sterile linen stocked to the set par levels.
- Proper wrapping techniques used when using non-woven wrapper.
- Proper packaging techniques used when using paper peel pouches.
- Proper techniques and supplies used when using rigid containers.
Loads sterilization cart/chamber according to method of sterilization and set policies and procedures and unloading sterilization carts to ensure smooth and timely processing and delivery of sterile instruments and supplies by carefully and properly handling items on the cart as outlined in department procedure manual.
- Operate sterilizers in strict accordance with departmental procedures.
- Followings policy and procedures for steam sterilization.
- Followings policy and procedures for Ethylene Oxide sterilization.
- Followings policy and procedures for Gas plasma sterilization.
- Understands and interprets mechanical, chemical and biological indicators.
- Prepare sterilization loads according to sterilization method and policies.
- Incubates self contained biologicals according to protocol.
Maintains accurate records of sterilization and of all equipment in the department by utilizing the instrument tracking system by following departmental policies and procedures to comply with federal and other external regulations.
- Maintains Sterile Processing Department (SPD)'s equipment service log.
- Maintains accurate sterilization records/documentation.
- Follows protocol for scanning bar coded items.
- Scanning items to the proper stations and locations.
- Sterilization records entered accurately into the sterilization module.
- Consistently records accurate load control numbers.
- Consistently verifies and initials all records according to policy.
Distributes instruments sets to ensure receipt by departments in a timely manner.
- Deliver sterile cart to Operating Room (OR)/Outpatient Surgery (OPS) in a timely manner.
- Accurately delivers sterile items in the correct location as designated in Sterile Processing Department (SPD).
- Responds to Operating Room (OR)/Outpatient Surgery (OPS)'s requests in a timely manner.
Perform UV cleaning of used equipment following established procedures.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System