- Purpose of Job
- Assists therapists with patients to ensure safe and accurate treatments.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent (General Education Diploma GED) required.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Requires skills in communication both oral and written, time management and organization.
- Requires the ability to work independently, adapt to a changing environment, and organize and work with a variable patient load.
- Requires skills in general office duties and basic medical terminology.
- Requires the ability to learn computer operations, therapy equipment.
- Can provide basic phone skills and communicates in a courteous and respectful manner at all times.
- Requires knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Skilled in operating a computer, including a computer mouse, scanner, and keyboard, as well the following computer programs:
- Cerner Powerchart and Scheduling Application
- Microsoft Outlook
- Pay Net
- First Paid
- Ability to use copy/print/fax machine.
- Basic knowledge of clinic exercise equipment and the equipment's adjustments, as well as the ability to set up patients to use the equipment under the direction of a therapist.
- Knowledge and ability to verify patient insurance.
- Must comply with HIPAA Laws.
- Must possess basic knowledge of how Health Insurance works in relation to Physical Therapy.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Assists the therapist with patient as needed to ensure patient safety and facilitate therapy treatments.
- Properly starts patient with warm-up activities prior to therapy treatments as directed by therapist.
- Safely sets up therapy treatments as directed by the therapist ensuring patient comfort and privacy.
- Properly assists therapists with patient treatments as directed by therapist.
- Maintains patient dignity and privacy when assisting the therapist with treatment.
- Appropriately communicates to therapist any patient concerns or problems as they occur.
- Includes those brought to the attention of the Rehab Secretary/Technician.
- Transports patients to and from the gym promptly according to rehab schedule and therapists requests.
Properly lifts and transfers patients and/or materials to ensure safety in all lifts, preventing back injury.
- Follows proper body mechanic techniques when lifting.
- Lifts and transfers in a safe manner and uses equipment when required.
- Asks for assistance when needed to ensure patient and personal safety.
- Replaces/puts away equipment in proper locations when not in use.
Performs basic maintenance of office and therapy equipment to assure a clean and aesthetic environment.
- Ensures clinic and office equipment are clean and in proper operating condition as per policies and procedures.
- Performs cleaning in the rehab gym, following daily/weekly/monthly checklists as applicable as well as being observant and taking initiative to clean anything else in the clinic that appears unclean.
- Ensures that equipment is clean and in proper operating condition (following cleaning schedule on equipment as applicable).
- Cleans desk stations.
- Disposes of soiled linen and waist in proper locations.
- Cleans scanners and fax/printer/copier machine, in addition to replacing paper and toner as applicable.
Stocks and maintains office and clinic supplies to assure the efficiency of the therapy clinic.
- Stocks and maintains proper inventory of office and clinic supplies.
- Stocks and maintains proper linen supply through regular ordering.
Performs clerical duties to assist the department in maintaining adherence to medical records policies and to assist the therapists with office support.
- Properly admits outpatients into the Health System and obtains appropriate billing number on the visit.
- Assists therapist with chart maintenance, sending copies of notes to provider as requested by therapist.
- Measure above not applicable to HealthWest PT
- Breaks down charts at discharge sending or scanning appropriate documents in a timely manner in accordance with department procedure and policies.
- Correctly enters patient charges within 24 hours.
- Measure above not applicable to HealthWest PT.
- Maintain record of therapy visits.
- Follows up with patients per No Show/Cancellation policy.
- Assists therapists with chart maintenance, sending out copies of notes and PT/OT prescriptions to MD/Adjuster/Case Managers as applicable (as well as documenting and keeping a record of contact and faxes).
- Checks in patients for PT/OT visit using Cerner, verifies patient identity and that patient information is accurate. Has patient fill out new patient paperwork, and collects copays as appropriate.
- Affixes proper patient visit label to billing sheets and correctly files prepared billing sheet.
- Sorts through completed charge sheets received from therapists and inter-office mails the sheets to coding department.
- Properly files patient charts when not needed.
- Schedules patient for PT/OT visits based on therapists/patients requests.
- Calls on patients when a prescription for PT/OT is received to schedule the patient.
- Calls the next business day's new patients as a courtesy reminder of appointment.
- Creates charts for each patient as initial visit is scheduled with applicable papers present depending on the ailment of the patient.
- Collects payment from patient for products, copays, or services using First Payed or Paynet to create/record transactions.
- Place all cash, checks, and receipts into money bag.
- Perform opening and closing checklist items as applicable.
- Keeps waiting room neat and orderly.
Demonstrates responsibility with all job related duties.
- Takes accountability to cover all assigned shifts.
- Attempts to seek coverage as needed before seeking assistance of supervisors.
- Accepts responsibility for actions and consequences.
- Communicates any changes in shift coverage to manager for final approval.
Attitude and communication approach reflects the core values of the department.
- Consistently addresses patients with a kind and courteous manner.
- Proactively seeks solutions to challenges within the work environment.
- Adapts, without difficulty, to changes in assignment and environment.
Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of Treatment, as outlined in the department “Age-Specific Competency Checklist”.
- Standard as outlined in the Age Specific Criteria.
Schedules and registers patients for appointments by collecting and verifying patient demographics, insurance information and other essential information to ensure accurate information is maintained for each patient.
- Collects co-pay or co-insurance per policy.
- Completes prior authorization for services as appropriate.
- Handles insurance inquires and communicates insurance coverage to patient at the time of registration.
Answers telephone to schedule appointments, take messages, direct calls to appropriate personnel, and handle other patient matters to ensure that excellent customer service is provided in a timely manner and according to policies and procedures.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.