- Purpose of Job
- The Patient Escort is responsible for transporting patients and equipment throughout Methodist Hospital.
- Job Requirements
- High School diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) preferred.
- Previous patient care contact preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Skilled in critical thinking, problem solving, and sound judgment.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction with staff and customers required.
- Able to read, write, and comprehend various written reports and documents required.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Sedentary Work:
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force.
Sitting most of the time. Walking and standing are required only occasionally.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Very Heavy Work:
Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Light Work:
Exerting up to 20 pounds of force.
- Medium Work:
Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Heavy Work:
Exerting up to 100 pounds of force.
- Not neccessary for the position (0%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-Ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Frequent (67-100%)
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Bioloigical agents (primary air born & blooid forne viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Transports patients to and from clinical, ancillary, and support areas by following established departmental policies and procedures, following Standard Safety Precautions procedures, and using exceptional customer service to ensure delivery of services within an established time frame.
Communicates with appropriate personnel regarding transportation of patients when the patient is leaving or returning to the unit to ensure the safe transition of care for the patient according to hospital policy.
Transfers patients to and from beds, wheelchairs, or stretchers by following departmental policies and procedures and Standard Safety Precautions to ensure the safe transition of care for the patient according to hospital policy.
Transports patients to their vehicles upon hospital discharge by assisting the patients into their vehicles and loading their belongings into the vehicle to ensure the safe transition of care for the patient according to hospital policy.
Provides accurate and detailed documentation of all transport activity by using the patient tracking system or dispatch to ensure patient information is current and correct.
Picks up and delivers specimens and films by following departmental policies and procedures to ensure timely and accurate delivery to assigned locations.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System