- Purpose of Job
- The Nebraska Methodist College Bookstore Assistant serves as an integral member of the bookstore team, performing duties in most operational areas of the store including, but not limited to, conducting inventory, providing customer assistance, performs point of sale operations, placing general merchandise orders, receiving orders, assisting with website maintenance and special projects.
- Job Requirements
- High school degree or equivalency required.
- Prior retail service or bookstore experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks efficiently.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of bookstore operations, sales and inventory management.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with students, faculty, coworkers and the general public.
- Skill in processing point of sale payments, conducting inventory and receiving and documenting shipments.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Light Work - Exerting up to 35 pounds of force.
- Not neccessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Essential Job Functions
- Opens the bookstore following opening procedures.
- Conducts daily cleaning and straightening tasks.
- Greets and assists all customers with questions and purchases.
- Operates the store's point of sale computer systems (point of sale) to include sales, discounts, rentals, eBooks, returns, book vouchers, interdepartmental charges, bulk charges to departments and gift certificates.
- Performs store and point of sale closing procedures and reconciles/reports daily sales.
- Counts and receives inventory shipments in the point of sale system.
- Processes payments and fulfills orders placed on the website.
- Maintains images and item descriptions.
- Fulfills and ships all orders requesting delivery.
- Conducts training for temporary student employees on operation of point of sale system.
- Provides training on store cleaning and straightening procedures.
- Supervises student employees when manager is unavailable.
- Coordinates bi-annual book buyback operations and completes detailed, daily reporting of books purchased and total revenues.
- Assists with conducting quarterly inventory counts and reconciling any discrepancies.
- Acts as point of sale super-user.
- Assists with developing reports and participating in other projects as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned by manager.