- Purpose of Job
- Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment, as outlined in the age specific criteria.
- Job Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing required.
- A Bachelor's degree in Nursing is required.
- Minimum of two years experience as a staff nurse.
- Current valid Nebraska Registered Nurse (RN) License, valid compact multistate license to work in Nebraska, or a temporary permit while awaiting licensure required.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Current Advanced Cardio Life Support (ACLS) certification required.
- Current Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification required for Neonatal departments (N2, N3, N4, N5, N6).
- Knowledge of current professional nursing concepts and principles, nursing unit operation on a 24-hr basis.
- Working knowledge of management concepts and principles, and the ability to apply, but not limited to the following: supervision, delegation, staff development.
- Skills in the operation and use of nursing techniques and support equipment and materials, able to communicate both orally and in writing to staff, other departments and administrative, training and orienting new staff and handling emergency situations.
- Ability to conduct meetings and ensure information is given to the appropriate staff, identify problems and offer well thought out solutions to those problems.
- Ability to write and communicate proposals regarding the management of the floor or other nursing problems, be aware of changes, and adapt to and communicate those changes in a supportive manner.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Light Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Note: Safety Officer can assist with identification of job hazards
- Essential Job Functions
Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment, as outlined in the Age Specific Criteria.
- Demonstrates ability to identify opportunities for and give individualized customer service/patient care according to customer/patient needs.
Promoter of Service Excellence — Improves patient care/customer service and fosters personal responsibility.
- Gives praise and recognition for good performance.
- Contributes to growth, learning, and success of others.
Role Model — Connects people to each other and our patients. Sets an example with personal behavior/commitment to high standards.
- Is approachable and accessible.
- Cares about the well-being of others.
- Builds strong, positive relationships.
- Is present and punctual.
- Is consistent with fairness and is trustworthy.
- Demonstrates behaviors of leadership in actions, words and intentions.
Problem Solver — Achieves results by aligning resources with patients' needs.
- Takes initiative when necessary.
- Liaison for referring physicians, patients and families.
- Effectively analyzes problems/situations.
- Anticipates consequences.
- Confronts difficult issues directly with involved people.
Participative Decision Maker — Develops a consensus-based solution that serves the patient.
- Keeps his/her commitments.
- Acts with honesty and integrity.
- Demonstrates a desire to make an important contribution.
- Serves on various committees and attends meetings within scope of responsibility.
- Uses consensus to reach solutions.
Risk Protector — Secures the organization's long-term ability to serve.
- Communicates a clear vision of the organization.
- Supports the short and long-term goals of the individual department and units.
- Supports systems for better utilization of resources.
Catalyst — Supports the right people to serve our patients.
- Supports staff to ensure effective department workflow.
- Asks primary and pointed questions.
- Clarifies information between departments.
- Identifies/leverages other's unique strengths when it is necessary to assign tasks.
- Proactively identifies and resolves conflict.
- Provides coaching by one-to one mentoring.
Monitors the quality of care and customer satisfaction within the assigned patient care unit(s), demonstrating commitment to continuous Quality Improvement.
- Assists in monitoring specific risk management indicators for trends and patterns.
- Responds to and assists in implementing preventative measures to identify potential and emerging risk management problems on an ongoing basis.
- Ensures the implementation of practice or process change related to decisions made through Continuous Quality improvement.
- Identifies and analyzes potential or emerging customer service problems/needs and implements preventative measures.
Ensures compliance with appropriate standards relating to operations, safety and patient care as promulgated by regulatory agencies, accrediting commissions, professional associations, and Hospital board and administration.
- Reviews and revises procedures and policies which assure regulatory compliance and consistency between departments and services.
- Ensures compliance with safe and efficient use of equipment and other material resources.
- Participates in professional organizations and participates in continuing education to remain current on any internal and external issues as related to patient care.
- Provides direction in the development and implementation of policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services within the process.
Ensures management of human and fiscal resources of programs/services are within budgetary guidelines or within acceptable budget variances.
- Works with Department Leaders/Cores to adjust staffing on an as needed basis to meet patient care needs and budget targets.
- Participates in an effective system for management of supplies and equipment for the Process and identifies cost saving alternatives.
- Participates in ongoing Value Analysis of products related to patient care delivery.
Maintains a safe work environment that prevents and/or reduces risks to the organization, patients, and personnel.
- Assists in monitoring specific risk management indictors for trends and patterns.
- Responds to and assists in implementing preventative measures to identified potential and emerging risk management problems.
- Supports the implementation of practice or process change related to decisions made through the analysis of risk management data.
Maintains a positive work environment that promotes employee development, employee involvement and employee satisfaction.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the mission and vision of the Hospital and modeling core values.
- Demonstrates support and commitment to a system of employee development through coaching and mentoring.
- Encourages and promotes employee involvement through soliciting staff input and participation in the decision making process.
- Gaining the understanding, support and effective actions of others to achieve objectives.
- Ensures equitable treatment of all employees through the fair and consistent application of Human Resource policies and procedures.
- Communicates relevant Patient Care Division, Hospital and Health System information on a periodic and as needed basis to staff.
Maintains a collaborative relationship with Medical Staff.
- Solicits physician input and shares information regarding key initiatives and care delivery structure, process and outcomes.
- Follows through on Medical Staff concerns regarding care process and care delivery structures.
Methodist Health System