- Purpose of Job
- Performs and assists with diagnostic imaging.
- Job Requirements
- Requires successful completion of an accredited echo technical program (2 year program).
- Two years clinical experience in field of Echo.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Current Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) or Registered Vascular Tech (RVT) certification required.
- Dual Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) or Registered Vascular Tech (RVT) certification preferred.
- Cross train into vascular. Required for all new hires after January 1, 2013.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Coordinates and performs echo procedures according to the department policy and procedure as approved by the Medical Director and Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL) governing body using digital imaging.
- Selects from work list 100% of the time or follows the correct down time guidelines for patient demographic information in order to pass the information to medical records
- Works closely with Information Technology (IT) when the work list isn't working IT feedback and notification of manual scanning of finalized results for medical records.
- Competency check list on each procedure by technical director.
Obtains accurate patient history, appropriate indications for the study and critical measurements for physician interpretation
Acquires all images digitally in Xcelera and assigns the images to a Cardiologist for interpretation.
- All studies send and edited within 24 hours of procedure.
Educates the patient on procedure that is being performed BEFORE the procedure begins and checks for understanding from patient.
- Asks patients if education was given before exam by supervisor on a As The Situation Demands (PRN) basis. Rounding for outcomes.
- Ask patient if educational material was given to them by ordering physician's office.
Log each patient on log sheet and bill appropriately in Cerner following the procedure.
Give critical lab results to the ordering department and instruct them to read back the results for clarification and understanding per department policy.
- Document on log sheet who the critical lab result was given to and that they were ready back to the sonographer. Initial log sheet after results are read back.
- Round for outcomes on positive results.
Collaborates in maintaining proper inventory and works with Information Technology (IT) and Bio-Med when equipment or system goes down.
- Keeps manager informed of maintenance issues and Information Technology (IT) system issues.
Provides appropriate care specific to the patient to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment is provided as outlined by the age specific criteria guidelines.
- Review age specific criteria annually.
Works the monthly assignments fairly and in the best interest of the department.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Compassionate Care/AIDET and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.