- Purpose of Job
- The Courier is responsible for transporting patients to/from home and Methodist facilities or transporting/delivering mail and supplies to/from assigned Health System Facilities/Departments to ensure excellence customer service is provided for all customers.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) preferred.
- 6 months previous experience in commercial driving preferred.
- 6 months previous mail clerk experience preferred.
- Valid and current driver's license required.
- Skill in commercial driving or courier services.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and to provide positive interaction with staff and customers.
- Able to read, write, and comprehend various written reports and documents including the ability to read maps and locate street addresses.
- Able to travel to various locations in and around the Omaha community.
- Basic computer skills.
- Able to walk distances on a daily basis.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Not neccessary for the position (0%): - Crawling
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Rare (1-33%): - Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Processes and sorts incoming mail for accurate delivery. Prepares for and plans daily routes in order to transport patients/supplies/mail to/from appropriate destinations; ensures coordination of scheduled appointments and timelines.
- Transports mail and supplies to Health System facilities/departments by delivering mail and supplies to assigned locations within established timeframes to ensure excellent customer service is provided.
- Maintains an updated courier schedule by updating any changes on the schedule, coordinating schedule changes with customers and the Team Leader Receiving/Distribution, and informing other courier drivers about the changes to ensure that courier schedules are always accurate and current.
- Receives all incoming mail for distribution by sorting the incoming mail and properly marking locations to ensure accurate delivery to departments.
Loads/unloads supplies/mail or assists patients in boarding/deboarding from vehicle. Delivers mail, medications, equipment, and supplies to all floors and departments.
- Picks up and delivers various items to Pharmacy by checking for daily pick-up/delivery of drugs and supplies, responding to pages/supervisor requests for stat pick-up/deliveries, and ensuring pharmacy items are in proper containers and have required signatures to ensure deliveries follow department policies and procedures and are conducted within established timeframes.
- Picks up and delivers lab specimens from various Health System locations by following departmental policies and procedures to ensure timely and accurate delivery to assigned locations.
- Receives and sorts incoming /outgoing Xrays for delivery to various facilities/departments.
Performs general maintenance checks on the vehicle including filling with gas, checking fluid levels, checking tire pressure and cleaning windows; promptly reporting any vehicle problems or maintenance issues to supervisor to ensure a safe vehicle.
Maintains the interior of the assigned vehicle on an ongoing basis.
Performs special pickups/deliveries as requested.
- Completes special trips as needed by delivering important equipment and/or information to established destinations to ensure excellent customer service is provided.
Maintain PPE supplies/fire protection in vehicle as kept in assigned organizer bin.
Picks up from the United States Postal Service Monday thru Friday and picks up specimens from various Heath System locations to ensure services are provided in a timely manner.
Follows Universal Barrier Standard Precautions when working with patients and specimens and ensures patient confidentiality at all times.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System