- Purpose of Job
- Serves as primary contact person for medical records department.
- Job Requirements
- High school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) required.
- 1 year previous medical records experience preferred.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Strong verbal communication skills for positive interaction with staff and customers required.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Skilled in electronic medical record documentation preferred.
- Ability to read, write, and carry out oral and written instructions with accuracy and efficiency required.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium/Light Work - Exerting up to 35 pounds of force.
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Repetitive Motions
- Not Related:
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) Blood or Body Fluid (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Note: Safety Officer can assist with identification of job hazards
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Electronically assembles and properly indexes patient health information including medical
history, exam results, test results/reports, lab tests, treatment plans, transcription, releases, and
other information related to patient care and treatment.
Reviews upcoming patient appointment lists and follows protocols to ensure all Electronic Medical Records (EMR) documents
are properly scanned, edited, identified, filed correctly and duplicates deleted.
Appropriately accesses hospital computer systems and contacts other medical facilities to retrieve missing patient data to ensure files are complete for appointments and physician review.
Properly decodes medical reports to facilitate accurate filing and completeness of Electronic Medical Records.
Processes requests for release of medical records, including subpoenas, ensuring appropriate authorizations are on file and legal guidelines for releasing records are followed.
Responds to tasked requests for files/documents and forwards to providers as needed.
Answers and responds to phone inquiries for Health Information Department.
Follows policies and procedures for storing and retrieving protected health information.
Coordinates insurance company chart reviews and prepares documentation for onsite reviewers.
Opens physician mail daily and distributes according to defined procedures.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.