- Purpose of Job
- Provide technical, and pre-analytic support services for all designated divisions of laboratory technical operations, and outreach client support services.
Laboratory Technician duties include specimen evaluation and processing, problem solving, exception handling, reporting, supply maintenance, and customer service. Perform specimen accessioning, splinting and sorting, labeling and storage of specimens received into the laboratory. Perform data entry to assign a specific computer generated identification number with accuracy, and in a timely manner. Pre-Analytical, and Post-Analytical duties include the basic operation of Automation System.
- Must be able to communicate with hospital, and clinic staff regarding specimen requirements, ordering, and miscellaneous requests. This also includes management of the outpatient orders. Must be willing to project a professional image through inbound requests received by phone, electronically, in writing, and in person. Provide a supportive link between customers, and all the other departments of the Hospital.
Must be able to multi-task, and work in a high-paced environment as part of a team.
- Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (G.E.D.) required.
- Prior experience as a phlebotomist or data entry or specimen processor in a clinical laboratory or physician office preferred.
- Ability to effectively utilize personal computer, and standard office applications.
- Knowledge of computers.
- Knowledge of HL7 interface.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work demands, and handle multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of basic specimen collection, selection, handling, and storage activities.
- Must exhibit good customer service skills.
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Not neccessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Rare (1-33%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Occasionally (34%-66%): - Equipment/Machinery/Tools
- Note: Safety Officer can assist with identification of job hazards.
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Exhibits proficiency in core stations as outlined in level I.
- Registration and Order Entry
- Mail Bench
- Tube Station
- 8100 Operation
- Basic centrifuge/refrigerator/freezer maintenance
- Fill supply orders
- Solves routine problems, requires assistance with complex problems.
- Process (i.e. centrifuge, aliquot, distribute, store) patient specimens appropriately, and in a safe manner to ensure accurate, and timely test results by following section policies, and procedures.
- Operate laboratory equipment for which they have received applicable training, and approval to perform.
- Perform laboratory information system (LIS), and electronic health record (EHR) computer functions accurately to complete daily tasks.
- Properly processes, and distributes specimens following collection.
- Perform all specimen processing functions to receive, and process specimens according to laboratory protocol, including, but not limited too: identification, and preparation for the automation line, and preparing specimens to be sent to the reference laboratories.
- Label specimens, and order documents using proper patient identification techniques.
- Accurately enter patient information (i.e. demographics, test orders, test results) in the computer to ensure timely reports to caregivers.
- Compliant per Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) guidelines 100% of the time.
- Accommodates patient, and laboratory needs by professionally responding to requests for flexibility in duties, schedules, and staffing.
- Maintain section materials, supplies, and equipment by following section policies.
Pre-Analytical, and Post-Analytical Automation
- Maintains compliance with established processes: turnaround time expectations etc., while collecting, or handling specimens, orders, and results.
- Operate equipment for which they have received applicable training, and supervisor approval to perform.
- Responsible for operation, and troubleshooting of the Automation Line, patient storage tracking, and managing all exceptions, and recover specimens for AOB.
- Accurately perform, and evaluate appropriateness of patient specimens.
- Prioritize, and organize work to facilitate the timely, and accurate completion of multiple tasks simultaneously by assessing the urgency of the tasks, and the time required to complete them.
- Identify problems, and initiate immediate follow-up as necessary with the Technical Coordinator, Section Leader, or Medical Director(s) to ensure accurate, timely laboratory services by using critical thinking skills, and decisive judgment.
- Process send-out specimens - process specimens to reference laboratory, including properly labeling, aliquoting, and storage.
- Properly identify, label, process, and distribute specimens using standard protocol.
- Respond appropriately to internal, and external customer needs, and communicates any problems or issues to them.
- Communicate any problems or issues with the client or patient care team.
- Utilizes the LIS to monitor the appropriate test pending logs, and communicate to the technical staff to ensure testing is not delayed.
- Manage client test results according to established procedures.
- Manage outpatient orders, and support all order questions from clients, and imaging, and access draw stations.
- Obtain verbal orders from providers according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), if no orders submitted to outpatient folder.
- Answer incoming calls with professional courtesy, and prompt response when follow-up is needed.
- Call/page critical values to the provider, and complete documentation of all calls in the electronic health record for all send out results.
- Utilize the EMR to efficiently complete add on tests requests, or to confer with the provider if the add on tests can not be completed.
- Scan all manual requisitions into the patient's EMR, and maintain filing system for paperwork, and all transfer lists, and add on forms according to specific training guidelines.
- Fill, and pack all supply orders for the outreach clients, and communicate questions about the order, delays in shipping, or back orders as required.
Laboratory Informatics and Interface
- Review, and release patient laboratory orders in the EHR including add on requests, phone calls from clients, Physicians, ED, Floor, Surgery, and Outpatients.
Communication and Education
- Document orientation, training, and education to ensure employee competence, provide excellent services, and meet accreditation requirements by effective verbal or written communication.
- Organizational, and departmental competencies are completed 100% of the time.
- Evidence that new procedures, and major procedure revisions are read, and understood.
- Assists in training new, and existing staff, including the review, and completion of orientation checklists, and skill/training checklists.
- Supports the education of clinical laboratory scientist students.
- Communicates efficiently by answering telephones, taking messages, calling clients for test clarification, and forwarding information or calls to appropriate staff.
- Appropriate communication skill as directly observed by Service Leader or designee.
- Phone calls are acted upon promptly, and handled in a professional manner per the customer service protocol as directly observed.
- Employee brings issues of concern directly to the appropriate Service Leader or designee's attention as directly observed.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.