- Purpose of Job
- Allied health professional working as a part of the team delivering surgical care by assisting physicians and maintaining a sterile field during surgical procedure through consistent application of aseptic techniques.
- Job Requirements
- Graduation from an accredited Surgical Technology program required.
- Satisfactory completion of annual mandatory education requirement.
- No previous experience required.
- One year of operating room experience preferred.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification required.
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) Certification preferred.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations.
- Ability to follow all clinical direction efficiently and with precision.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Not necessary for the position (0%):
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Not Related:
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Rare (1-33%):
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Performs preoperative preparation.
- Reviews physician preference list before operative procedure and assembles supplies and equipment needed for procedure.
- Opens sterile supplies using sterile technique.
- Transfers medications and solutions to the sterile field according to policy.
- Communicates clearly and collaborates with other members of the perioperative team to prepare operative procedure.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge and proficient practice in the first scrub role in complex cases.
Functions as scrub person during operative procedure by preparing, monitoring, and maintaining a sterile field
- Completing surgical scrub according to policy.
- Performs scrub duties in an accurate, concise and timely manner.
- Wears appropriate personal protective apparel (PPA) and follows standard and policy for attire in the operating room.
- Organizes and maintains sterile instruments and supplies in organized manner.
- Performs counts according to facility policy and procedure during procedure and hand-off situations.
- Assisting with draping sterile field according to standard.
- Watches progress of the operation and anticipates needs of team members.
- Disassembles instruments and equipment, transports to processing department.
- Assists with cleaning room and prepares for subsequent procedure.
Applies base knowledge and principles during operative procedure (Intraoperative Surgical).
- Base knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, microbiology and pharmacology for optimal surgical patient care.
- Principles of computer science, electricity and robotics as needed for surgical patient care.
- Principles of sterile technique during the surgical procedure.
Follows policy and procedure for Intraoperative Surgical procedures.
- Participates in surgical time-out, fire risk assessment, and case summary for each operative procedure.
- Identifies labels and handles specimens including hand-off situations and disposition of specimen.
Demonstrates collegiality and leadership qualities.
- Demonstrates awareness of, and participation in performance improvement activities.
- Reports potential performance improvement problems, to coordinators, core nurse and service leader, assists in problem solving.
- Maintains compliance with department call requirements, adjusts hours to meet patient services.
Provides appropriate care specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment as outlined in the Population Specific Criteria.
- Demonstrates ability to identify opportunities for and give individualized customer service/patient care according to customer/patient needs.
Applies knowledge related to emergency situations and surgical procedures in the operating room.
Essential Functions II
Participates in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follows and understands the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System