- Purpose of Job
- Supports patient care delivery by providing clerical services.
- Job Requirements
- High school diploma, General Educational Development (GED) or equivalent required
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills necessary to communicate with physicians, callers, visitors, patients, family, and team members by verbal and written communication.
- Skills and knowledge in order to prepare reports, perform calculations, keep records, and deal effectively with people.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer applications.
- Excellent grammar, punctuation, spelling, and presentation layout skills.
- Knowledge of office procedures and principles of record keeping. Ability to read medical records.
- Ability to type 30 to 40 wpm with accuracy.
- Physical Requirements
- Weight Demands
- Medium Work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force.
- Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Frequently Performed (34%-66%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Constantly Performed (67%-100%):
- Rare (1-33%):
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
- Radiation Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light, infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Hazardous Drugs (exposure risks, personal protective equipment required).
- Occasionally (34%-66%):
- Chemical agents (Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office environment)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
- Frequent (67%-100%): - Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient contact) (BBF)
- Essential Job Functions
- Essential Functions I
Promote positive impression and welcoming environment through customer service.
- Courteously greets and gives directions to patients, family members, visitors, physicians, staff, and other customers.
- Maintains safe, clean and neat work environment.
- Has no food at reception area; all drinks must be covered.
- Promote quiet environment at the Reception Desk and in the hallways.
- Demonstrate good communication style and interpersonal communication skills with patients/families.
- Prompt response and follow-up.
Provide appropriate service specific to the age of the customer/patient, to ensure understanding and comfort level of treatment, as outlined in the Population Specific Criteria.
- Identify opportunities and provides individualized customer service according to customer needs.
- Screen visitors according to protocols.
Handle all general communication duties.
- Answers telephones promptly, courteously and with a smile; identifies self and unit.
- Maintains and operates the call and/or phone system.
- Distributes mail if applicable.
- Faxes/copies/scans information as required/requested.
- Makes announcements in a professional manner.
- Contacts caregiver promptly when patients have arrived.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality of patients and staff information.
Assist with maintenance of electronic medical records.
- Establish the initial patient chart upon admission.
- Maintain chart documents according to protocol.
- Process charts upon dismissal, breaks down chart so available for HIM timely and accurately.
- Help prepare records as appropriate for patient transfers and/or referrals.
- Scan medical documents in a timely and accurate manner.
Directly responsible to the staff nurse and/or staff and assists in the care of the patient by performing delegated activities utilizing the reciprocal process of the 4 Rights of Delegation.
- Right task (within the scope of practice, according to the job description, and based on the desired outcome, task routine, non-complex, low risk and predictable outcome.)
- Right person (assess competency by certification/licensure, job description, skills checklist, demonstrated skill.)
- Right communication (clear, concise, correct, complete.)
- Right feedback: The Reciprocal Process (timely, specific, checkpoints.)
Perform other unit specific duties as assigned.
- Assist in keeping the environment clean and tidy.
- Maintain, organize, and stock supplies.
Essential Functions II
Participate in mandatory in-services and/or CE programs as mandated by policies and procedures/external agencies and as directed by management.
Follow and understand the mission, vision, core values, Employee Standards of Behavior and company policies/procedures.
Other duties as assigned.
Methodist Health System