Title: Adjunct Speech Instructor
Department: Communication, AHAD Division
Effective Date: 8/19/19
Basic Function and Responsibility:
This position is responsible for teaching classes as assigned by the Academic Dean. Must evaluate and report student performances and progress in courses in accordance with college and division policies and procedures. Must meet Minimum Faculty Standards for hire and adhere to college policies and procedures.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required. Instructors are responsible for obtaining and maintaining reliable compatible computer hardware and software.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help students achieve their educational and career goals
- Promote, develop, and deliver quality education programs with the intent to retain students to graduation
- Organize and teach labs as assigned by the academic dean
- Assess student learning outcomes in courses each term
- Refer students to college resources
- Promote, model, and enforce academic integrity
- Be available for student assistance via email, phone, or conference
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with FERPA and Title IX regulations
- Implement accommodations for ADA compliance
- Initiate and pursue a professional growth plan to maintain competency and knowledge of current research, practice trends in the field
- Post student attendance, grades, and course syllabus to the college LMS in accordance with college timelines
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment
- Demonstrate professional decorum with all members of the college and community
- Other duties as assigned which may include:
- Review faculty credentials in consultation with the Academic Dean
- Review student transcripts upon request
- Assist with instructor orientations
- Assist the College with NACEP accreditation standards
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills.
- Effective organizational skills, particularly as they relate to the teaching-learning process.
- Capable of creating a classroom and lab environment, which is conducive to student learning.
- Strong motivation to work/serve under-prepared students.
- Ability to work with diverse populations.
Required: Master's Degree in Communications or Master's Degree and 18 graduate hours in Communications or related field.
Preferred: Master's Degree in Communications
Preferred: Teaching experience is preferred.
General supervision received from Academic Dean
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Policy
It is the policy of Iowa Western Community College to provide equal educational opportunities and not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, AIDS/HIV status, citizenship, or medical condition, as those terms are defined under applicable laws, in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices, as required by Iowa Code sections 216.6 and 216.9, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. § 2000d and 2000e), the Equal Pay Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. § 206, et seq.), Title IX (Educational Amendments, 20 U.S.C.§§ 1681 1688), Section 504 (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. § 794), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12101, et seq.).