IOWA WESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE
POSITION TITLE: RESIDENCE LIFE COORDINATOR
DIVISION: STUDENT SERVICES
DEPARTMENT: STUDENT LIFE AND STUDENT SUCCESS
RESPONSIBLE TO: DIRECTOR OF RESIDENCE LIFE
ABOUT IWCC Iowa Western is a learning community committed to excellence in meeting educational needs and improving the quality of life through programs, partnerships, and community involvement. Iowa Western is a unique community college because we provide a more traditional college experience through residence life (1,300 students), athletics, and student involvement. The college offers about 84 programs and serves around 6,500 students at the main campus in Council Bluffs, the four centers, and area high schools.
jOB sUMMARY The Residence Life Coordinator is directly responsible for the total administration of his/her assigned community and building, including facility programming, community development, Resident Assistant supervision, student conduct, safety and security, and all administrative duties related to his/her assigned facility.
This particular position is assigned to Reiver Suites I; the Residence Life Coordinator is responsible for approximately 425 residents.
Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience that demonstrates sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and disabled backgrounds of community college students.
- Experience that illustrates a history of successfully collaborating with co-workers on a regular basis to achieve common goals.
- Experience that demonstrates student-centered decision making.
- Experience that demonstrates strong conflict resolution.
- Experience as a professional staff member or student staff member in a Residence Life department
- Experience that demonstrates the ability to respond appropriately and effectively to crisis situations
Skills and Abilities:
- All Student Services: Iowa Western’s Student Services Division fosters learning environments that engage and empower our students to grow and develop. All Student Services staff members must have the ability to excel in team and individual settings, multi-task, problem solve, manage their time, and maintain positive relationships with student, staff, and faculty while thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to supervise and manage student staff
- Ability to openly confront and appropriately respond to aggressive individuals
- Ability to balance empathy with being firm in decisions
- Ability to exercise superior judgment and discretion
- Supports, interprets, implements and enforces the Student Code of Conduct, and Housing Rules and Regulations; adjudicates Student Code of Conduct violations
- Facilitates student development by using proactive intervention techniques; reports incidents; conducts one-on-one student disciplinary meetings for low-level conduct; promotes student accountability for his/her actions; and maintains administrative records
- Responsible for developing and managing all programming for assigned facility/community and ensures programming includes diverse and appropriate activities to meet the needs of all residents; responsible for the programming and supplies budget for assigned facility
- Creates a sense of community in Residence Life by ensuring Resident Assistants develop personal one-on-one relationships with residents; actively creates and implements an inclusive and supportive environment that contributes to students’ personal and academic success
- Responsible for the overall safety and security of assigned facility/community; when appropriate, works with Council Bluffs Police Department, Campus Safety and Security, Student Support and Intervention Department, and other agencies on Residence Life incidents or safety concerns
- Provides initial resident guidance, crisis/conflict management, and mediation assistance for students; refers residents to and consults with appropriate resources in a timely fashion
- Maintains an active awareness of resident and parent concerns, and addresses concerns in a timely manner
- Responsible for the recruitment, selection, supervision, and evaluation of Resident Assistants; facilitates initial and on-going training of Resident Assistants
- Works closely with the Operations Manager on management of facility front desks and in recruitment, selection, training, supervision and evaluation of desk staff
- Responsible for the execution of evening events, including campus wide student activities and intramural sports
- Manages administrative responsibilities of facility including student documentation, student billing, occupancy information, key inventory, check-in/check-out processes, maintenance and custodial needs, and opening/closing of campus housing facilities
- Serves as an advocate for quality management of campus housing facilities by reporting and following-up on maintenance issues
- Coordinates and conducts health and safety inspections
- Assists in the coordination of summer projects including summer camps, furniture moves, and building maintenance
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time
COMPENSATION: $32,000 plus on-campus apartment with free utilities, local phone, cable television, laundry, and Ethernet connection.
Iowa Western offers a wide array of competitive benefits, including medical and dental coverage, life insurance, retirement with generous matching, and paid time-off (including numerous holidays).
HOURS: Office hours are held Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Additional hours are frequently required on evenings, and occasionally required on weekends and during holidays.
The Residence Life Coordinator is required to be on an on-call rotation. During this week, the Residence Life Coordinator must be available 24 hours a day to respond to emergency situations in housing.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Significant amount of standing and walking on campus and in housing facilities.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Residence Life Coordinators are required to live on-campus in a provided apartment.