Education: Bachelor’s degree required; with math endorsement
Preferred: Teaching experience with adult population(s)
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
The Instructor will be responsible for competency-based instruction in managed classroom, independent learning situations and online study program. Duties include but are not limited to teaching mathematics concepts and standards, Essential Education (HiSET Academy) and other digital instructional opportunities, maintaining student records including but not limited to, attendance, student follow-up and retention, enrollment and updating student records in electronic database, and management of materials and resources. Must certify in order to administer State and program required post-tests and evaluations. Must meet and adhere to State, college and program policies and procedures. Instructor will be responsible for pursuing, attending and sharing professional development updates in course area(s).
- Build student rapport
- Evaluate and analyze assessment results and determine competency-based needs of class
- Work with and pursue implementation of College and Career Readiness Standards in class(es); may include creating lesson plans using template identifying CCR Standards and CASAS Competencies.
- Digital literacy: determine needs of class, select/design appropriate curriculum
- Develop lesson plans accordingly
- Teach math skills (through high school level) to adult learners at various educational functioning levels
- When appropriate, use online courses (Essential Education / HiSET Academy)
- Use variety of instructional strategies including but not limited to explicit/ direct instruction, large group, small group, one-on-one situations
- Assist in student retention efforts with follow-up calls, emails, other methods of communication
- Follow State and local program guides pertaining to required certifications for electronic management system including assessment administration and entering of data in a timely manner (annual re-certifications required, hours of instruction entered into TE system monthly, etc.
- Administer posttest to students with minimum 40 hours of targeted instruction
- Maintain up-to-date syllabi (s) for each class/ or class outline or schedule as appropriate
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment.
- Attend professional development and growth activities, reflecting at least 12 hours of professional development per year
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled
- Upgrade skills and knowledge relevant to teaching field or discipline
- Maintain confidentiality regarding students and colleagues.
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner, such as: providing syllabi at the start of class, maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance records, entering of data into the TE system
- Other duties as assigned
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS (Skills & Abilities):
- Knowledge and skill in educational theory and methodology related to the adult learner.
- Ability to organize and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds and abilities and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
- Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems and exercise independent, sound judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, staff, administrators and other contacts.
- Possess strong human relations skills and the ability to effectively relate to diverse personalities.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
May require prolonged standing or sitting. May require frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters, numbers and/or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as desk-top computers, lap-top computers, calculator, telephone, faxes, scanners and copiers.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.