About UsAt HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our About Us video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
The primary duties of the Senior Utility Planner Modeler include the technical leadership, planning, leading and managing Utility Planning and UMS projects, working with teams on various utility planning and utility management service-related projects for federal, state and local municipalities.
Plan, lead and manage Utility Planning and UMS projects, working with teams on various utility planning and utility management service-related projects for federal, state and local municipalities.
Deliver technical products that meet client expectations. Responsible for workload, financial, schedule and quality aspects of the projects. Workshare projects as needed with other departments where other Utility Planning staff is assigned.
Production of preliminary design technical reports and performing master planning studies. Primary tasks may include: developing and calibrating water, wastewater, and stormwater hydraulic models, performing GIS data analysis, developing maps and figures, alternatives analysis, system water quality, energy and operations optimization and rehabilitation studies, and developing capital improvement recommendations and plans.
Depending on Utility Planning and UMS workload, additional project management and design tasks may include creating detailed designs of water and wastewater treatment systems or distribution and collection systems. These design tasks specifically include preparing plans for water and wastewater systems, writing technical specifications, determining appropriate design methods, equipment sizing and selection, and participating in construction administration and observation.
Responsible for local and regional development, coordination, monitoring and improvement of technical competencies of Utility Planning practice staff. Mentor, coach, and train junior staff to improve utility planning-related technical competencies in the region.
Supporting the Utility Management Services business class' mission in the area.
Support Regional Utility Planning Practice Lead in efforts to grow Utility Planning and Utility Management Services programs in the region.
Participation in local and national professional organization(s) and internal practice groups. Participate in Utility Planning practice and professional discipline groups, project teams and activities to continually improve standards and best practices; implement effective quality assurance and quality control reviews.
- Provide local leadership of infrastructure planning, modeling, identification of capital improvements, and distribution/collection system operational optimization technical capabilities within the Utility Planning practice area in support of the regional and area Utility Planning leads client development leads.
- Serve as client manager and project manager on utility planning projects.
- Build local technical expertise and production capacity through recruitment and training.
- Participate in support of client development and project pursuits.
- Facilitate lessons learned for project delivery, processes, trends, successes, strengths and weaknesses.
- Identifies technical market trends in the local markets.
- Works with local WBG marketing staff, UMS Area Lead, and UMS Service Area Leads to develop a strategy to capture key types of projects.
- Works with UMS Area Lead and WBG Marketing Managers to identify and screen key clients with high probability pursuits that align with the Utility Planning BC strengths and the business trends in the area.
Key Words: Utility Management, Planner, Modeler