Alternate Locations:Fort Wayne, IN (Indiana); Greensboro, NC (North Carolina); Hartford, CT (Connecticut); Radnor, PA (Pennsylvania)
Relocation assistance is not available for this opportunity.
About the Company
Lincoln Financial Group, a Fortune 250 company with over 10,000 employees, provides advice and solutions that help empower Americans to take charge of their financial lives with confidence. Our core business areas Life Insurance, Annuities, Retirement Plan Services and Group Protection focus on supporting, preserving and enhancing over 17 million customers lifestyles and retirement outcomes.
Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates. The company had $253 billion in assets under management as of December 31, 2017.
Ranked one of the Best Large Employers in America by Forbes magazine, Lincoln Financial Group makes a serious investment in our employees futures through a broad range of wealth accumulation and protection plans, health and wellness programs, and career development resources designed to help each individual reach their personal and professional goals.
The AVP, Senior Counsel - Annuities, provides legal advice and strategic input to the Lincoln Financial Group business units that are responsible for designing and administering Lincoln’s individual and group annuity products. Your focus will primarily be providing advice, counsel and advocacy relating to variable annuity product development, individual annuity contract administration and operations, group annuity contracts, customer service and claim activity.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Provides legal advice and counsel on individual annuity product development, business initiatives relating to individual annuities and group annuity contracts, regulatory and compliance matters, and distribution matters.
- Provides input into strategies designed to achieve business objectives and minimize legal and regulatory risk.
- Subject matter expert and trusted adviser on federal and state laws and regulations applicable to annuities.
- Identifies and communicates legal exposure and risk in a timely and proactive manner to key internal stakeholders.
- Identifies opportunities for positive change, leverages resources within the organization, and drives initiatives to positive outcomes.
- Works with and manages outside counsel as necessary on product registrations and related matters.
Variable Annuity Product Development
- Legal advice and input into strategy on the development and maintenance of Lincoln’s individual annuity products and services, including initial registration statements and annual updates for variable annuity products.
- Advocates Lincoln’s positions with federal and state regulatory agencies and fosters positive relationships on Lincoln’s behalf.
- Thought leader on laws, regulations and policies applicable to Lincoln’s annuities business.
- Key Lincoln contributor in applicable industry associations including the ACLI, IRI, and LICONY.
- Legal advice and strategic input regarding insurance company separate accounts.
Annuity Operations and Regulatory/Compliance Matters
- Thought leader and strategic adviser on business initiatives arising from Lincoln’s annuities operations area, including digital initiatives, in-force optimization, and customer service initiatives.
- Legal advice and counsel on death claims arising from Lincoln’s individual annuities.
- Legal advice and leadership on the resolution of complaints and disputes arising from Lincoln annuities, including advice on regulatory risk and threatened litigation.
- Legal advice and counsel on regulatory and compliance risks as well as insurance department market conduct examinations.
Group Annuity Contracts
- Provides legal advice and strategic direction on the development of group annuity contracts.
- Subject matter expert on laws and regulations applicable to group annuity contracts.
- Trusted adviser to business partners in the Retirement Plan Services business on group annuity contract product development and administration.
- Legal advice and strategic input on matters relating to the distribution of Lincoln annuities.
- Subject matter expert on federal and state laws and regulations governing the sale of annuities by insurance companies, agents and broker-dealers.
- Legal advice and counsel on sales, marketing, and communication strategies and materials.
- J.D. from an American Bar Association (ABA) approved law school and a Member of the Bar in good standing is required
- Demonstrated expertise on the Securities Act of 1933 and the Investment Company Act of 1940.
- Minimum of ten years’ experience as an attorney preferably either at a law firm or financial services company.
- Demonstrated experience providing advice on variable annuity product development, including experience with the tax treatment of annuities.
- In-depth knowledge of the applicable legislative and regulatory processes and rules applicable to annuities.
- In-depth understanding of corporate structure, client organization, and business and corporate protocols.
- Experience analyzing, interpreting and drafting documents written at the most sophisticated levels such as contracts, registration statements, prospectuses, policies and procedures.
- Experience in a financial services/insurance organization is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and weigh business and legal risks, lead strategically and advance innovative solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to influence key stakeholders and drive positive change in a complex organization.
- A demonstrated track record of consistently meeting and/or exceeding performance expectations.
- Possesses a bias for action and avoids workplace distractions.
- Drives performance targets to completion,
- Working knowledge of computer-based legal research and other legal systems. #LI-CG1
This position may be subject to Lincolns Political Contribution Policy. An offer of employment may be contingent upon disclosing to Lincoln the details of certain political contributions. Lincoln may decline to extend an offer or terminate employment for this role if it determines political contributions made could have an adverse impact on Lincolns current or future business interests, misrepresentations were made, or for failure to fully disclose applicable political contributions and or fundraising activities.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our web site or to personal e-mail accounts of employees of Lincoln Financial Group are considered property of Lincoln Financial Group and are not subject to payment of agency fees.
Lincoln Financial Group (LFG) is an Equal Opportunity employer and, as such, is committed in policy and practice to recruit, hire, compensate, train and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veterans status, or genetic information. Applicants are evaluated on the basis of job qualifications. If you are a person with a disability that impedes your ability to express your interest for a position through our online application process, or require TTY/TDD assistance, contact us by calling 260-455-2558.