Alternate Locations:Atlanta, GA (Georgia); Charlotte, NC (North Carolina)
Relocation assistance will be considered/provided for this opportunity within our company guidelines.
About the Company
Lincoln Financial Group, a Fortune 250 company with over 10,000 employees, provides advice and solutions that help empower Americans to take charge of their financial lives with confidence. Our core business areas Life Insurance, Annuities, Retirement Plan Services and Group Protection focus on supporting, preserving and enhancing over 17 million customers lifestyles and retirement outcomes.
Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates. The company had $253 billion in assets under management as of December 31, 2017.
Ranked one of the Best Large Employers in America by Forbes magazine, Lincoln Financial Group makes a serious investment in our employees futures through a broad range of wealth accumulation and protection plans, health and wellness programs, and career development resources designed to help each individual reach their personal and professional goals.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB
This role will provide leadership & direction to contracted independent consulting physician review services primarily for disability and critical illness claims. S/he will also provide medical expertise & clinical support to nurse case managers, clinical research specialists, vocational rehabilitation counselors, and claims case managers regarding diagnosis(es), level of medical impairment, restrictions and limitations on functional capacity, treatment, prognosis, and standards of care. S/he will contribute to the development of medical policy/protocols & clinical strategy, and will provide medical support to a variety of functional areas, including sales, marketing, legal & appeals in complex issues & initiatives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees clinical aspects of contracted independent consulting physician and nurse medical review services in region, in collaboration with Chief Medical Officer and other medical department staff.
- Communicates with treating providers on behalf of Lincoln to reach consensus, where possible, on complex issues related to impairment, restrictions and limitations, treatment, and prognosis for disability and critical illness claims.
- Provides consultative advice and expertise to clinical research specialists, nurse case managers, vocational rehabilitation counselors, and claims case managers in response to daily clinical support needs.
- Maintains current knowledge of peer-reviewed medical literature and the standard of care to ensure the highest quality clinical decision-making possible.
- Oversees contracting, recruiting, and quality assurance for contracted independent consulting physicians and other peer review vendors in region.
- Collaborates with the Chief Medical Officer and other Regional Medical Directors to develop medical policies & protocols and clinical strategy in support of business objectives.
- Collaborates with Sales & Marketing to promote Lincoln products and services and attract relationships and interest for business via a mix of direct visits and/or speaking engagements with clients/prospects in region.
- Supports Chief Medical Officer in oversight and review of clinical content for employee training programs; participates in training of clinical and claims employees.
- Participates in and provides medical advice to various Lincoln committees and task forces relating to complex issues/initiatives.
- Leads strategic discussions with internal groups/stakeholders to develop best practices in clinical support to meet business objectives
- Serves as a medical expert for a variety of activities and stakeholders, including corporate clients, human resources, legal departments, public affairs, and loss prevention.
- Directs/executes approved strategy decisions and contributes to strategy creation for assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Provides strategic direction to build and enhance the capability for his/her assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Directs and enhances organizational initiatives by positively influencing and supporting change management and/or departmental/enterprise initiatives within assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Identifies and directs strategic process improvements that significantly improve quality across the team, department and/or business unit for assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Provides subject matter expertise to team members and applicable internal/external stakeholders on complex assignments/projects for his/her assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Maintains knowledge on current and emerging developments / trends for assigned area(s) or responsibility, assess the impact, and collaborates with senior management to incorporate new trends and developments in current and future strategies.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Medical Degree and successful completion of a residency training program recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties or equivalent (Minimum Required)
- 10+ years experience with workplace medical issues, STD, LTD, workers compensation, employer benefits, clinical protocols in a medical setting directly related to the specific responsibilities of this role, with at least 5 years experience in clinical practice. (Required)
Experience in a medical management/leadership role and academic teaching are preferred
- Upon Hire: Board certification by the American Board of Medical Specialties or equivalent, in a specialty or sub-specialty relevant to adult workplace medical, surgical, or mental health conditions.
- Upon Hire: Unrestricted Active State Licensed to practice in certified medical, surgical, or mental health specialty
- Travel Type: National Domestic
- Travel Amount: up to 20%
This position may be subject to Lincolns Political Contribution Policy. An offer of employment may be contingent upon disclosing to Lincoln the details of certain political contributions. Lincoln may decline to extend an offer or terminate employment for this role if it determines political contributions made could have an adverse impact on Lincolns current or future business interests, misrepresentations were made, or for failure to fully disclose applicable political contributions and or fundraising activities.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our web site or to personal e-mail accounts of employees of Lincoln Financial Group are considered property of Lincoln Financial Group and are not subject to payment of agency fees.
Lincoln Financial Group (LFG) is an Equal Opportunity employer and, as such, is committed in policy and practice to recruit, hire, compensate, train and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veterans status, or genetic information. Applicants are evaluated on the basis of job qualifications. If you are a person with a disability that impedes your ability to express your interest for a position through our online application process, or require TTY/TDD assistance, contact us by calling 260-455-2558.