Alternate Locations: Radnor, PA (Pennsylvania)
Relocation assistance is not available for this opportunity.
About the Company
Lincoln Financial Group provides advice and solutions that help empower people to take charge of their financial lives with confidence and optimism. Today, more than 17 million customers trust our retirement, insurance and wealth protection expertise to help address their lifestyle, savings and income goals, as well as to guard against long-term care expenses. Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates.
The VP, Chief Counsel, Retirement Plan Services, will lead the legal and compliance team that supports the Retirement Plan Services business. He/She will be responsible for managing a legal and compliance team, responding to and working with regulators as needed on legal and regulatory issues that arise, and providing proactive day to day strategic advice and business support to senior leaders of the Retirement Plan Services business.
Leadership and Strategy
- Providing strategic advice and counsel to Retirement Plan Services senior executives on the business and legal ramifications of significant strategic objectives.
- Advising the SVP, Chief Counsel, Product and senior management on key legal matters and complex issues within the Retirement Plan Services business, including customer or vendor disputes, regulatory exams or investigations, litigation, and operational, reputational or other risks that might impact the business and overall enterprise.
- Providing internal and industry leadership and advocacy on public policy issues impacting the Retirement Plan Services business.
- Maintaining current knowledge of legal developments and trends, assessing business impact and ensuring that new trends/developments are considered in business strategies.
- Leading and managing a team comprised of both legal and compliance professionals.
- Championing Legal Department initiatives that align with enterprise objectives.
- Working collaboratively with the enterprise legal support teams (e.g., Litigation, Compliance) and other business unit legal/compliance support teams (Life, Annuities, Group Protection, Distribution, Funds Management) to manage and minimize risk and liability.
- Developing tools, process and procedures that will improve the Legal Department’s client service model.
- Anticipating and planning for the Retirement Plan Services businesss needs when managing legal staff development, recruitment, succession planning and diversity.
- Managing the Retirement Plan Services businesss exposure to risk while ensuring that commercial objectives are achieved.
- Overseeing regulatory exams/investigations (or regulatory matters/inquiries) and managing relationships with regulators (e.g., DOL, SEC/FINRA, state insurance departments, state banking regulators).
- Providing recommendations regarding the implementation of new rules and regulations.
- Understanding, condensing, simplifying and communicating internal and external rules and regulations to all constituents.
- Keeping abreast of “best practices” and technological innovations that enhance compliance processes and improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Building organizational capability within the Retirement Plan Services Legal and Compliance function to develop a highly effective team of professionals.
- Ensuring that top talent is hired and retained.
- Providing training and development opportunities, including stretch assignments, for subordinates and giving honest and open feedback to aid in the development of talent.
- Minimum of 4 Year/Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience (4 years of experience in lieu of Bachelors)
- Minimum of Law Degree from ABA accredited law school
- A J.D. plus a minimum of 12 years of increasingly relevant legal experience with a law firm and/or
- with a large, diverse and complex financial service provider (e.g., Retirement Plan, Insurance, Banking, Broker Dealer, Investment Advisory, and/or Wealth Management/Trust business lines etc.) including 5+ years of strategy and influencing senior stakeholders.
- 5 – 7+ years of experience with ERISA/Internal Revenue Code requirements applicable to retirement plans and retirement plan service providers.
- Experience in analyzing compliance policies, programs and procedures including regulatory assessments.
- Experience leading a legal/compliance team.
- Demonstrated experience as a “thought leader”. Will be able to demonstrate being sought after for advice, counsel, and judgment.
- Experience working with public policy advocacy groups is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in motivating others in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills with collaborative management style.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). #LI-AE1
This position may be subject to Lincolns Political Contribution Policy. An offer of employment may be contingent upon disclosing to Lincoln the details of certain political contributions. Lincoln may decline to extend an offer or terminate employment for this role if it determines political contributions made could have an adverse impact on Lincolns current or future business interests, misrepresentations were made, or for failure to fully disclose applicable political contributions and or fundraising activities.
Lincoln Financial Group (LFG) is an Equal Opportunity employer and, as such, is committed in policy and practice to recruit, hire, compensate, train and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veterans status, or genetic information. Applicants are evaluated on the basis of job qualifications. If you are a person with a disability that impedes your ability to express your interest for a position through our online application process, or require TTY/TDD assistance, contact us by calling 260-455-2558.