Alternate Locations: Greensboro, NC (North Carolina); Hartford, CT (Connecticut); Radnor, PA (Pennsylvania)
Relocation assistance is not available for this opportunity.
About the Company
Lincoln Financial Group provides advice and solutions that help empower people to take charge of their financial lives with confidence and optimism. Today, more than 17 million customers trust our retirement, insurance and wealth protection expertise to help address their lifestyle, savings and income goals, as well as to guard against long-term care expenses. Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates.
As Legal Counsel, you will provide general legal advice to Life Solutions, which develops, manufactures and administers individual life insurance products. You will have responsibility for a cross section of duties to support and advise product management, underwriting and new business, client services, strategy, product distribution and special projects as they relate to Lincoln Financial’s life insurance products, including variable life, long term care and corporate-owned insurance products.
Provide Legal Advice and Support:
- Life Product Management:
- Product development – participation in product development process, advise on policy language, state filing, administrative system and securities regulation issues (including issues arising out of the development and distribution of corporate-owned private placement life insurance);
- Initial filings for and maintenance of securities registrations of variable life insurance products;
- Inforce optimization – advice and support to team proactively managing inforce life insurance in a manner consistent with the fair and equitable treatment of policyholders, legal and regulatory requirements and Lincoln’s Shared Values;
- Inforce management – advise business leaders regarding the proper implementation of life insurance policy requirements on policy administrative systems;
- Administered Business – provide counsel with respect to rights and obligations of parties to administration of reinsured business arrangements.
- Client Services
- Advice and support to Client Services personnel in resolving variable life insurance and long term care insurance customer service, policy administration and consumer complaint issues as well as providing support to Litigation with respect to lawsuits arising therefrom.
- Underwriting and New Business
- Provide support and advice with respect to underwriting and new business issues arising from solicitation and sale of variable life and long term care insurance products.
- Provide support and advice with respect to issues arising out of the marketing and distribution of variable life, long term care and corporate-owned insurance products.
- Undergraduate Degree
- J.D from ABA-accredited law school
- Current License to practice law
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience counseling life insurance company operations
- Expert knowledge of the life insurance legal and regulatory framework
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and effectively with legal and compliance team members and with business leaders at multiple levels of organization
- Sophisticated understanding of life insurance concepts, knowledge of key industry trends and excellent business acumen
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Ability to efficiently read and interpret legal documents such as policies, contracts, and reinsurance treaties
- Ability to efficiently read and interpret statutes, regulations and other legal authorities.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from diverse audiences including consultants, senior leadership and other stakeholders
- Ability to apply applicable law to and draw appropriate conclusions from established facts
- Ability to gauge the level of detail appropriate for different audiences
- Ability to gather facts from various sources and take initiative to get information that is not provided
- Possesses and demonstrates qualities such as integrity, professionalism, leadership, judgment, initiative, follow-through, strong work ethic, reliability, strategic thinking, ability to execute flawlessly, ability to work independently, relationship skills, team player and respectful of others
- Ability to understand strategic vision of Chief Counsel and business leaders and to align actions and execute accordingly
- Has a keen awareness of the regulatory environment and industry “best practices” and brings a proactive and flexible approach to the position
- A demonstrated track record of consistently meeting and/or exceeding performance expectations
- Possesses a bias for action and avoids workplace distractions #LI-CG1
This position may be subject to Lincolns Political Contribution Policy. An offer of employment may be contingent upon disclosing to Lincoln the details of certain political contributions. Lincoln may decline to extend an offer or terminate employment for this role if it determines political contributions made could have an adverse impact on Lincolns current or future business interests, misrepresentations were made, or for failure to fully disclose applicable political contributions and or fundraising activities.
Lincoln Financial Group (LFG) is an Equal Opportunity employer and, as such, is committed in policy and practice to recruit, hire, compensate, train and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veterans status, or genetic information. Applicants are evaluated on the basis of job qualifications. If you are a person with a disability that impedes your ability to express your interest for a position through our online application process, or require TTY/TDD assistance, contact us by calling 260-455-2558.