Alternate Locations: Greensboro, NC (North Carolina); Radnor, PA (Pennsylvania)
Relocation assistance is not available for this opportunity.
About the Company
Lincoln Financial Group provides advice and solutions that help empower people to take charge of their financial lives with confidence and optimism. Today, more than 17 million customers trust our retirement, insurance and wealth protection expertise to help address their lifestyle, savings and income goals, as well as to guard against long-term care expenses. Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates.
This AVP of Accounting Policy position oversees Lincoln Financial Groups (LFG) technical accounting policies. S/he ensures company-wide accounting policies are up-to-date and compliant with existing and newly approved accounting standards and regulations. In addition, s/he is responsible for the proper documentation and maintenance of LFGs accounting policies and procedures. S/he serves as an advisor to management regarding technical accounting policy and compliance issues and represents LFG on the accounting committees of industry trade organizations, e.g. American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI).
- Communicates new & emerging technical accounting policy developments to managers/executives throughout LFG.
- Contributes to the strategy development of the Accounting Policy functional area.
- Directs the effective implementation, integration, & execution of the Accounting Policy groups strategic & tactical plan initiatives.
- Ensures the Accounting Policy functional area is meeting objectives pertaining to quality, compliance, regulations, productivity, customer service, budget, and project management.
- Establishes goals, objectives, & operating procedures for the Accounting Policy functional area.
- Evaluates & establishes accounting policies as necessary related to new structures within LFG including investment & derivative strategies as well as reinsurance accounting structures.
- Interacts with other senior leaders across functional areas as a technical accounting policy expert, providing guidance, & making recommendations in implementing policies & other related accounting initiatives.
- Monitors, reviews & evaluates accounting and reporting developments within U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Statutory Accounting Policies, Securities & Exchange Commission Regulations & Public Company Accounting Oversight Board Guidelines.
- Oversees & addresses technical accounting issues including identification, ensuring proper application of accounting standards, & working with internal and external (e.g., auditors) stakeholders to address & enforce policy compliance.
- Oversees & reviews new disclosures for the 10K and 10Q. Ensures accuracy & completeness of the Summary of Significant Accounting Policies & New Accounting Standards Notes in the 10K & 10Q.
- Oversees preparation, review & submission of comment letters on proposed accounting guidance to Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), as needed, on behalf of LFG.
- Oversees, directs, reviews, & approves the application of applicable regulation changes into LFGs technical accounting policies & procedures.
- Participates in the accounting committees for industry technical accounting groups, including American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI); assists in preparation of comment letters for committees.
- Provides technical accounting support on M&A activities & strategic initiatives by identifying any accounting issues during due diligence process & developing/integrating technical accounting policies for acquired companies, as needed.
- Reviews, drafts & approves updates to accounting policies.
Education & Experience
- 10+ Years experience in accounting that directly aligns with the specific responsibilities for this position preferably within accounting policy area in the financial services/life insurance industry and/or within a public company(Required)
- 4 Year/Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience (4 years of experience in lieu of Bachelors)in (Minimum Required), travel up to 35%, CPA required #LI-AY1
This position may be subject to Lincolns Political Contribution Policy. An offer of employment may be contingent upon disclosing to Lincoln the details of certain political contributions. Lincoln may decline to extend an offer or terminate employment for this role if it determines political contributions made could have an adverse impact on Lincolns current or future business interests, misrepresentations were made, or for failure to fully disclose applicable political contributions and or fundraising activities.
Lincoln Financial Group (LFG) is an Equal Opportunity employer and, as such, is committed in policy and practice to recruit, hire, compensate, train and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veterans status, or genetic information. Applicants are evaluated on the basis of job qualifications. If you are a person with a disability that impedes your ability to express your interest for a position through our online application process, or require TTY/TDD assistance, contact us by calling 260-455-2558.