The Academic Success Consultant is responsible for providing academic and professional development support services to the Creighton University School of Medicine students in Phoenix, AZ. Provides individual consultation, assessments, and support for students experiencing academic challenges and those seeking to improve performance. Provides referrals to outside resources as required. Ensures compliance with LCME policies and requirements. This position also requires education delivery to students, where appropriate. This position coordinates the Vital Signs Mentor program, and participates in the Physician Lifestyle Management course. Masters degree in Education or related field required. Experience in higher education, specifically academic success required.
Student Academic Success
- Provides individual consultation and support for students experiencing academic problems and those seeking to improve performance. Also provide consultation for time management, test anxiety, stress management and sleep difficulties as they relate specifically to student studying.
- Conducts learning styles assessment and personality assessment and provides interpretation to all students.
- Provides counseling and support for students studying for USMLE examinations (Step 1, Step 2 CK), NBME Subject Examinations.
- Works with students who are remediating to develop a plan for success and monitor progress.
- Coordinates M1/M2 Vital Signs mentoring programs including teambuilding exercises, small group meetings and individual mentoring meetings. Recruits and trains peer and faculty mentors.
- Provides referrals to and consultations with designated resources for evaluations and management of students.
- Membership and participation in professional organizations (Association of American Medical Colleges/Group on Student Affairs, Medical Education Learning Specialists).
- Maintains Blueline (LMS) content for M1/M2 student success as it relates to academics.
- Coordinates tutoring program for M1/M2 students.
- Presents sessions for M1/M2 students, including transition to medical school, academic success strategies, and wellness related topics.
- Participates in hospital wide/area specific committees relevant to job responsibilities.
- Supports orientation, events, and student activities as needed.
- Masters Degree in Higher Education, or related field
- 1-3 years related experience required
- Prefer experience in GME and/or LCME administration or equivalent experience in academic advising
- Prefer applied knowledge of adult learning theory and educational psychology, with a documented history of student support success
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of higher education operations
- Knowledge of education curriculum of medical education
- Interpersonal/human relations skills to build relationships with students
- Ability to create collaborative relationships with other professionals
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Organizational, management, and collaborative skills
- Counseling/advising skills to assess and create interventions with a diverse population
- Teaching skills including ability to facilitate small groups
- Develop and deliver presentations and educational programs
- Ability to relate well with students
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Word, Access, Excel etc.).
Seeing: 75 – 100%
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: 0-24% (pound: __ lbs.)
Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: 75 – 100%
Exposure to Blood Borne pathogens: No
Creighton University is committed to providing a safe and non-discriminatory educational and employment environment. The University admits qualified students, hires qualified employees and accepts patients for treatment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or other status protected by law. Its education and employment policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other programs and activities, are administered without unlawful discrimination.
This description describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Regular, reliable attendance is an essential function and all employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor. Employees may also be required to work in excess of normal working hours as workloads and seasonal activities necessitate. A complete description is available in the Human Resource office located at 3006 Webster Street Omaha, NE. Creighton University reserves the right to modify duties, responsibilities and activities at any time with or without notice.