This position is a ¾ time position and covers a nine-month contract period from August 2021 until May 2022. Laboratory and teaching responsibilities are scheduled to accommodate a typical graduate student’s schedule, however, it is not a requirement to be enrolled in a graduate program of study and any tuition expenses are the responsibility of the individual selected for the position. A stipend of $23,000, plus health insurance coverage is provided.
Exercise Testing & Training Laboratory Assistant Responsibilities Include:
1. Active supervision of student testing in the laboratory.
2. Assist with preparation, instruction and evaluation in lab courses.
3. Preparation and calibration of equipment for department research.
4. Individual and group fitness testing and personal training.
5. Help to plan, promote and administer programs offered by the lab (e.g. CU on the Scale Weight Loss Program & Boot Camp).
6. Perform daily and weekly equipment calibration and assist with necessary laboratory maintenance activities.
7. Knowledge and skills necessary to administer fitness testing are mandatory. This includes cardiorespiratory testing (cycle ergometer, treadmill testing and maximal oxygen consumption); body composition testing (skinfolds, hydrostatic weighing, BOD POD), muscular fitness, and flexibility assessments.
8. Risk factor screening and exercise programming/personal training experience are also expected.
9. CPR certification and ACSM/NSCA certifications must be kept current.
Activity Class Instructor Responsibilities:
The individual who assumes this position is expected to teach two weight training courses each semester (other courses as needed), therefore experience in weight training is required.
Individual may be asked to assist with activities promoting the Exercise Science & Pre-Health Professions major as well as Creighton University (e.g. Major’s Fair, Health Fair, Benefit’s Fair, Open House, prospective student tours) and other activities deemed necessary by the Department Chair or the Exercise Testing and Training Laboratory Director.
Please send three letters of recommendation to Joan Eckerson at JoanEckerson@creighton.edu
Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science, current CPR certification and NSCA-CPT, NSCA-CSCS, ACSM-CPT or ACSM-Exercise Physiologist certification required prior to starting date. Experience in teaching, personal training and laboratory testing desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Ability to foster student learning, development, and decision making in support of their goals, success, wellness, and needs;
Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop rapport quickly and effectively with a diversity of populations;
Empathy and compassion for the experiences of others;
Ability to provide evidence of excellent university-level teaching and/or significant publications
Seeing: 75 – 100%
Hearing: 75 – 100%
Standing/Climbing/Mobility: 0 – 24%
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: 0 – 24% (pound: lbs.)
Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: 75 – 100%
Exposure to Blood Borne pathogens: No
Creighton University is committed to providing a safe and non-discriminatory educational and employment environment. The University admits qualified students, hires qualified employees and accepts patients for treatment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or other status protected by law. Its education and employment policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other programs and activities, are administered without unlawful discrimination.
This description describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Regular, reliable attendance is an essential function and all employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor. Employees may also be required to work in excess of normal working hours as workloads and seasonal activities necessitate. A complete description is available in the Human Resource office located at 3006 Webster Street Omaha, NE. Creighton University reserves the right to modify duties, responsibilities and activities at any time with or without notice.