Schedule: Varied days/ evenings/ weekends
Were searching for an Interpreter-Translator to provide Spanish language interpretation and translation services for the Childrens patients, family members, staff and physicians.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Interprets for Spanish speaking patients and families during encounters in the hospital or clinics with physicians, nurses, staff members, and (possibly) outside agencies. These encounters include hospital admissions, hospital discharges, clinic visits, outpatient surgeries, outpatient diagnostics, and emergency department visits.
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge and skills in two languages: English and Spanish.
- Displays cultural sensitivity, awareness and respect to all parties involved that makes possible conditions of mutual trust.
- Demonstrates mastery of medical and colloquial terminology.
- Returns all calls for interpretation promptly.
- Prioritizes requests appropriately.
- Documents encounters (admission, discharge, consents, clinic appointment) manually or electronically.
- Translates written patient education materials, hospital brochures, consent forms, and medical reports, from English into Spanish. Produces high quality written translations. Types and formats documents as needed. Proofreads other translated documents as needed.
- Translates discharge instructions into Spanish and provides families with a written copy of these instructions.
- Interprets by phone for pre-op orders, test results, clinic appointments, and other information as needed.
- Assists coordinator with the maintenance of a file of patient education materials in Spanish and intranet access to these documents. Educates staff on how to find and access patient education materials in Spanish.
- Educates staff and parents as to role of interpreters, both through formal training (inpatient teaching rounds, grand rounds, nursing orientation, and departmental staff meetings), and informal continuous teaching opportunities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Skill in to speaking, reading, and writing both Spanish and English fluently
- Ability to interact with a variety of families and health care professionals
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Skill in typing and computer word processing
- Ability to respond to a variety of demands in a professional manner, and to prioritize multiple requests
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university related to languages, communication, or health care field required. Equivalent work experience may substitute for education
- Minimum 6 months experience or training in a health care setting and/or in interpreting required
- Current and valid certifications as a Certified Medical Interpreter or Certified Healthcare Interpreter is preferred
Make a meaningful difference improving the lives of children!
At Childrens, the regions only full-service pediatric healthcare center, our people make us the very best for kids. Come cultivate your passion, purpose and professional development in an environment of excellence and inclusion, where team members are supported and deeply valued. Opportunities for career growth abound as we grow our services and spaces, including the cutting-edge Hubbard Center for Children. Join our highly engaged, caring teamand join us in providing brighter, healthier tomorrows for the children we serve.