5:30pm-10pm weekdays, 11:30am-10pm Weekends and Holidays
We re currently searching for a Staff RN to prescribe, delegate, and coordinate professional nursing care to pediatric patients through the use of the nursing process and in accordance with hospital policies and procedures.
- Assesses and prioritizes patient care. Communicates with Physician regarding changes in patient condition.
- Facilitates patient flow by continually assessing patient volume and acuity.
- Assesses urgency of patient/parent communications and relays information to appropriate person(s) in an appropriate time frame.
- Reassesses as changes in patient status occurs.
- Performs initial patient/family assessment as outlined in specific standards in an appropriate time frame and documents
- Collects and documents data related to patient s physical, mental, developmental, emotional, and social conditions.
- Demonstrates age-specific competency in assessment of patients by the ability to obtain and interpret information in terms of the patient needs, knowledge, or growth and development, and understanding of the range of treatment needed by this patient.
- Assesses patient/family need for education as well as considers the most appropriate cognitive, cultural and developmental manner for presentation.
- Assesses family expectations for and involvement in the assessment and continuous care or treatment of the patient.
- Implements nursing care activities according to patient needs and physician direction in order to facilitate improvement in patient(s) condition. Nursing care will be given in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate care for infant, toddler, preschool, school age and adolescent patients.
- Provides care in accordance with standards, hospital policies and procedures
- Maintains work area in a clean and orderly fashion in order to comply with infection control regulations, and to present a professional environment to patients and families.
- Follows up on tests, x-rays, labs, etc. thoroughly and within the established time frames, and documents follow up.
- Provides cares in accordance of physicians orders and carries out these cares and treatment according to hospital policies and procedures.
- Reviews procedural information with patient/family to alleviate apprehension and elicit cooperation during exam.
- Accepts assignment to mentor student observation experience in unit.
- Accepts assignments to share/teach knowledge and provide clinical support as a preceptor for new staff.
- Provides at home instructions according to Physician s order at time of discharge.
- Provides patient/family education according to the child s development level and identified needs.
- Considers cultural, cognitive, emotional, and social influences on the patient/family s ability and readiness to learn. Documents understanding of topics taught.
- Reviews written discharge instructions with parent/family, answering all questions and noting understanding of instructions.
- Performs routine lab tests as requested by the Physician to facilitate diagnosis in accordance with hospital policy and procedure manual. Collects specimens and operates laboratory equipment in accordance with established policy to performs procedure requested.
- Performs a variety of clerical tasks to ensure continuity of patient s exams by obtaining registration information and completing patient charts according to established procedures.
- Provides non-technical assistance during radiology exams, ensuring quality care, in a timely fashion, by assisting in immobilizing and positioning patient during the exam.
- Accepts and completes other assigned tasks in a professional manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to provide a pleasant and welcoming appearance to all with which you come in contact.
- Skill in performing blood collection in pediatric patients.
- Knowledge of interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all age groups-patients, families, and peers.
- Completion of formal orientation.
- Ability to delegate, and direct tasks and activities as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma, Associates, or Bachelor s degree from an accredited school of nursing required
- Minimum 1 year of RN experience required
- Experience with pediatric patients preferred.
- Previous experience with EPIC preferred.
- Current and valid Nebraska RN license/RN Compact license required.
- Current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association is required.
- Current and valid Pediatric Emergency Assessment Recognition & Stabilization (PEARS) required within 6-months of hire, exceptions to this requirement are as follows:
- Incumbent holds another position within Children s where PALS is required, PALS will be required in lieu of PEARS.
- Incumbent holds active PALS, PALS will be accepted in lieu of PEARS until it expires, at which time PEARS will be required prior to the expiration of PALS.
- Current and valid Emergency Nurse Provider certification (ENPC) preferred.
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha