"$10,000 Hire Bonus" FT;7p-7a, every other weekend (Bonus for external hire only)
We re searching for a Respiratory Therapist, provides appropriate respiratory care specific to the pediatric population in accordance with the hospital policy/procedure. Assesses, plans and implements appropriate respiratory plan of care based on the cardiopulmonary needs of the patients. Evaluates effectiveness of plan of care and recommends revisions to the multidisciplinary care team
- Set up and operate devices such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators, following specified parameters of treatment.
- Determine requirements for treatment, such as type, methods and duration of therapy, precautions to be taken, and medication and dosages, compatible with physician s orders.
- Read physicians orders, measure arterial blood gases, and review patient information to assess patient s condition.
- Explain treatment procedures to patients to gain cooperation and allay fears.
- Monitor patient s physiological responses to therapy such as vital signs, arterial blood gases and blood chemistry changes and consult with physician if adverse reactions occur.
- Administer therapeutic gases including nitrogen, nitric oxide, heliox, etc.
- Enforce safety rules and ensure careful adherence to physicians orders.
- Maintain charts that contain patient pertinent identification and therapy information.
- Inspect, clean, test, and maintain respiratory therapy equipment to ensure equipment is functioning safely and efficiently and notify manager/supervisor when repairs are necessary.
- Educate patients and/or their families about the patient s condition and teach appropriate disease management techniques such as breathing exercises and the use of medications and respiratory equipment.
- Perform broncho-pulmonary drainage and assist or instruct patients in performance of breathing exercises.
- Conduct lung capacity tests to evaluate patient s cardiopulmonary functions.
- Provide emergency care, including artificial respiration, external cardiac massage and assistance with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Complete all required respiratory therapy competency tests within specified timeline.
- Demonstrate competency in identified technical skills for the respiratory department at the specific work area.
- Other duties may also include Clinical Instructor (schedule dependent on the contract with Respiratory Therapy schools):
- Supervise contracted Respiratory Therapy (RT) students from specified schools in the clinical hospital setting.
- Orients RT students to their role in the hospital, which includes scope of service, policies and procedures, patient safety, and professionalism.
- Orients RT students to the equipment used by RT at Children s.
- Provides opportunities for directly supervised hands on learning in the clinical setting.
- Responsible for accurate completion and documentation of all Respiratory Therapy performed with RT students.
- Responsible for accurate Hand off of patient information and ordered Respiratory Therapy performed with RT students.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrates competency in technical skills related to the Respiratory Therapy department.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of an accredited AMA approved school of respiratory care accredited by the National Board of Respiratory Care required.
- Bachelor s degree from an AMA approved accredited school in respiratory care preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience in respiratory therapy preferred
- Experience working with pediatric patients preferred
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSURE
- Current and valid Nebraska license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner required.
- Current and valid National Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) credential required.
- Current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association is required.
- Current and valid National Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential required within one year of hire.
- Current and valid National Registered Neonatal/Pediatric Respiratory Therapist (RRT-NPS) credential within three years of hire.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification required within 6 months of hire.
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha