Schedule: 12 pm-8:30 pm M-F, with every other weekend. We are currently searching for a Room Service Assistant. The Room Service Assistant is responsible for preparing, assembling and serving meals to patients. Staff works collaboratively with the Nutrition Assistant (Nutrition Call Center) to ensure meal selections are appropriately and efficiently prepared and delivered resulting in high quality meal service for patients. Staff follows allowances and restrictions of diet orders. Staff will protect food quality by following operational procedures for food handling, food safety, and infection control.
- Supports service excellence initiatives with proactive efforts in service and service recovery with demonstrated commitment to improve with high accountability Provides quality customer service to patients/customers and to staff.
- Follows approved patient menu preparation delivery and service protocols within approved timelines. Collects completed meal trays from patient rooms per service protocols. Supports and participates in processes to ensure all meal selections are received by room service. Accountable to ensure all patients on a modified diet order receive meals per patient needs/desires. Collaborates with Nutrition Assistants in the Nutrition Call Center to provide optimal patient food service. Follows safe practices at all times including 100% compliance with infection control guidelines posted outside every patient room prior to entry. Serves patients appealing and temperature-controlled food portions.
- Maintains clean, stocked, and continuous service-ready work areas utilizing HACCP and positive food handlers techniques.
- Promotes improvement in patient/customer satisfaction efforts by participating in service recovery efforts, workflow evaluation, and other planned events. Communicates efforts toward patient/customer satisfaction and all meal service related issues to the Lead Room Service Assistant, Nutrition Coordinator and/or Clinical Nutrition Manager.
- Participates in quality improvement initiatives, including taste panels, test trays, and in-service training. Demonstrates a positive attitude at all times. Participates in all meetings as required.
- Efficiently prioritizes work duties based on patient/customer needs in accordance with operational procedures and efficient workflow.
- Participates in financial management processes by carefully monitoring portion control, proper pricing, and safe storage of supplies and food.
- Monitors appropriate inventory of food and supplies by including dating, rotating products for service and documenting outages of same. Maintains food/supply needs daily and records food temperatures and temperatures of refrigerators and freezers per service protocol.
- Knowledge of basic hygiene principles.
- Knowledge of basic infection control policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills and ability to utilize Microsoft Office
- Skill in customer relations and service recovery.
- Skill in safe food handling.
- Ability to assess acceptable food quality.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work closely with professional staff.
- Ability to promote a positive dining experience.
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Minimum 6 months food service experience required, preferably in a health care setting.
- Current and valid Food Handlers Certification (ANSI-accredited only) within 6 months of hire.
- Required to work weekends
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha