We re searching for a Medical Laboratory Scientist, performs patient laboratory testing, instrument calibration, maintenance troubleshooting, quality control testing, and equipment function verification in the areas of Hematology, Microscopy, Coagulation, Chemistry, Microbiology, Virology and Serology. Reports and interprets laboratory test results. Advises and consults with the Medical Staff, nursing staff, and laboratory staff.
- Performs laboratory tests on patient specimens in the areas of Hematology, Chemistry, Microscopy, Coagulation, Microbiology, Virology and Serology to assist in identifying medical disorders and to monitor ongoing patient therapy.
- Utilizes LIS for reporting patient results, documenting quality control and distribution of data.
- Checks instrument calibration and reagent reactivity by assaying quality control specimens to assure accurate patient test results.
- Evaluates results of patient testing, quality control and survey testing, takes appropriate action to prevent compromises in patient care.
- Participates throughout the calendar year in proficiency testing.
- Performs troubleshooting, function checks and maintenance procedures to keep equipment and instruments in proper working order.
- Maintains adequate inventory levels and stocking of supplies and reagents.
- Supports new staff in training as necessary.
- Prepares specimens to be sent to referral laboratories and reports test results as they are returned.
- Consults with physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals concerning requested services and test results.
- Performs the duties of Charge Technologist as stated in the Policies and Procedures Manual when assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor s degree from an accredited college or university in Medical Laboratory Science or related science, which includes a one-year internship in an approved clinical laboratory required.
- Current and valid Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or equivalent certification with the American Society of Clinical Pathology or other equivalent certifying agency required, within 6 months of hire.
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha