Schedule: 0800-1700. We re searching for a Medical Assistant who is responsible for providing both administrative and clinical services to patients in accordance with Children s Specialty Clinics protocols, policies and procedures
- Assists with clinical duties to deliver safe patient care under the delegation of an RN or the direction of a LPN.
- Provides basic, age appropriate care to patients and collects data such as patient vital signs, weight and head circumference specific to area of assignment.
- Prepares patients for examination by performing routine patient screenings.
- Communicates completion of tasks, and significant abnormalities or clinical changes.
- Documentation is accurate, per clinic standard, and completed in real time.
- Assists providers with exams when necessary.
- Collects phlebotomy and other lab specimens based on department need.
- Performs treatments, procedures, diagnostic/lab testing per protocol and/or order.
- Performs medication administration specific to area of assignment.
- Facilitates registration and utilization of Children s Connect with patients and families.
- Performs other specialty tasks/procedures specific to area of assignment.
- Assists with medication refills based on protocol in specific specialty area.
- Communicates in a compassionate manner and uses medical terminology appropriately.
- Complies with performance improvement practices.
- Facilitates patient flow in clinic by monitoring patient volumes throughout the clinic day.
- Uses good time management and creative thinking when clinic is busy; ensuring patients are informed of any delays.
- Offers resources to patients and families, such as toys, coloring, etc., while in the exam room.
- Ensures exam rooms are clean and ready for the next patient, using the proper disinfectant between patients.
- Maintains supplies in exam rooms and re-stocks items as needed.
- Schedules and monitors patient appointments.
- Performs general office duties based on department needs.
- Demonstrates professional telephone and interpersonal communication techniques.
- Performs accurate, legal, and ethical documentation.
- Schedules procedures/diagnostic testing as delegated by RN.
- Completes Prior Authorization request for medications and equipment.
- Abstracts lab results from outside facilities.
- Contacts patients and families of normal lab results as delegated by RN.
- Assists with chart preparation.
- Orders clinic and office supplies to ensure adequate inventory by anticipating area usage and needs.
- Takes appropriate action to ensure equipment is functioning and ready to use.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Skill in typing and usage of computer.
- Good time management and creative thinking skills to enhance the customer experience.
- Must have effective verbal, written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature, without loss of efficiency or composure, and be able to perform under stressful conditions when confronted with multiple requests, demonstrating prioritization skills.
- Knowledge of basic office equipment including a multi-line phone system.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of a Medical Assistant Program with completion of an externship from an accredited college or university or current and valid national certification as a Medical Assistant (NCCT) required.
- Current and valid Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association is required.
- Current and valid Medical Assistant (AAMA) certification preferred.
- Current and valid Medication Aide Registration with the Nebraska State Medication Aide Registry required, within 90 days of hire.
Children's Hospital & Medical Center - Omaha